advertisement

Valvet Amplifiers

dadgad

pfm Member
I hadn't heard about these amplifiers until recently reading a review of some ART speakers similar to my current ones. The reviewer preferred the sound of these comparatively small amps to a rather larger ATC P1 power amp. Valvet is German and they make single ended and Class A power amps which look surprisingly compact for their output. Not many reviews but what there are seem very good. Anyone out there experienced them, or know of any UK dealers?
https://www.valvet.de/?lang=en

Review of ART Alnico 8 with Valvet power amps:
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/art-alnico-8-floorstanding-loudspeakers/

Went onto the Valvet website, couldn't seem to find out anything about their amplifiers due to the awful site itself, which would put me off buying their amps

Yes, the website is pretty crappy overall, seems like it gets updated(well, sort of) every great once in awhile, but not a whole lot in it. The US distributor might have a bit more info on them, but still, not a lot-see here:

https://highend-electronics.com/collections/valvet

I have been a little curious about them, but so far, not enough to give any of it a chance, and I know of no one close enough that I could get a listen. Might be missing something here, or not.

Some of it has that "garage build" look to it, which doesn't make it a bad sounding piece of gear, but for the money asked, I guess I would expect a bit better maybe?

valvet sometimes come up for sale , they tend to `stick`

central audio had a pair for quite a while but gone now . took a long time to sell

Went onto the Valvet website, couldn't seem to find out anything about their amplifiers due to the awful site itself, which would put me off buying their amps

indeed , better off sticking to well known stuff like sugden with support and pass labs etc

I should mention that I wasn't having a go at Valvet or the designer/engineer on the build. After all, I have Croft pieces that are well, quite "home grown", but I also didn't pay 3+ times the price either, and that is at US pricing.

I hadn't heard about these amplifiers until recently reading a review of some ART speakers similar to my current ones. The reviewer preferred the sound of these comparatively small amps to a rather larger ATC P1 power amp. Valvet is German and they make single ended and Class A power amps which look surprisingly compact for their output. Not many reviews but what there are seem very good. Anyone out there experienced them, or know of any UK dealers?
https://www.valvet.de/?lang=en

Review of ART Alnico 8 with Valvet power amps:
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/art-alnico-8-floorstanding-loudspeakers/

Have chat to Martin at Audio Reference. They are the UK importer

I heard a pair of the a4 monoblocks a few years ago at a bakeoff. They were up against some good kit but once they were in, they stayed in. Lovely sound from tiny boxes. They really are Class A and get very hot.

I heard a pair of the a4 monoblocks a few years ago at a bakeoff. They were up against some good kit but once they were in, they stayed in. Lovely sound from tiny boxes. They really are Class A and get very hot.

This all sounds promising, even the heat would be appealing with the current cold weather here in Scotland!

In Germany Valvet audio has a great reputation and they are build very solid and clean. There are many fans who use Valvet amps with high efficient speakers. Don't get distracted by their website, I would compare the business to Croft (related to their website).

Tempting to call the importer and ask for a demo amp. 'just to try'.... hmmm. Especially if lockdown continues, what else is there to do except listen to good music and great sound?

Talking of which (or not), this is lovely IMHO:

VALVET A4e mono blocks seem to be ~$10k but you might have to pay significantly more due to VAT, handling charges, etc due to the brexit fiasco. I'd recommend Sugden: either A21SE, ANV50 or monoblocks if you can afford them.

Why Sugden as an alternative? Valvet and Sugden only have in common that some of their amps work in class A. That is it.

In Germany the Valvet A4e monoblocks cost 6.900€/pair.

Curiosity won - I searched - you don't have to search far for some very complementary reviews, it has to be said, obscure brand outside of Germany, or not.

Not much if at all any more obscure than my LinnenberG amps and DAC. I have to say, if I wasn't already thrilled and satisfied with them, the Valvet would really be on my radar, something makes me very curious about them.

In Germany Valvet audio has a great reputation and they are build very solid and clean. There are many fans who use Valvet amps with high efficient speakers. Don't get distracted by their website, I would compare the business to Croft (related to their website).

I could not help but be distracted by their website, someone should tell them to simplify it, customers want to be able to see proper photos, from all angles, of what they would be buying, and also be able to read the literature: My post had nothing to do with the quality of the amplifiers, I usually like German designs

someone should tell them to simplify it, customers want to be able to see proper photos, from all angles, of what they would be buying, and also be able to read the literature.
Then do it: [email protected] ;)

I have absolutely no problem with their website and there are enough photos and all the information I need as a customer. Some manufacturer show pics from the inside of their products, some don't or what do you mean with "from all angles"?

As to contacting them have just tried forgetting my 'full stop' button is not working, so cannot type dotcom on my reply email address, will have to go and buy a 2nd keyboard tomorrow

advertisement

Back