advertisement

Valves for Shanling CD T80

hermit

Aye, right.
I'm new to valves and find that I'm tempted to change the valves on my Shanling CD T80 on the basis that NOS tubes are meant to sound better in general than modern equivalents. A search of the net has thrown up Western Electric 396A as a safe recommendation but I can't find a matched pair at the minute.

There are matched pairs of these equivalent valves available:

TUNG SOL - 2C51-5670
Ericsson 396A
General Electric - JAN 5670 W GE (396A 6N3 2C51)
6N3P-DR 6H3P 2C51 5670 Hi-Fi SUPERTUBE
6N3P-EV Reflector

Does anyone have any thoughts on these or perhaps any other suggestions? Many thanks in advance

Great CD player! I think you'll love it even more with the WE396As - a change of op-amps to the LM4562 is also a very nice upgrade too. Wish I still had mine - built like a tank!

Great CD player! I think you'll love it even more with the WE396As - a change of op-amps to the LM4562 is also a very nice upgrade too. Wish I still had mine - built like a tank!

Very happy with the WE396A upgrade. Thanks for the opamp suggestion valveheaduk. I am actually quite interested in getting the chevron audio upgrade done to this player at some point but this looks like a simple cheap mod that I could try in the meantime.

Finally got round to fitting the LM4562 op-amps. You're quite right valveheaduk - they are a very nice upgrade over the stock BB op-amps. Thanks for the tip :)

advertisement

Back