advertisement

Valves, Cricket and driving on the continent...

Jonathan Ribee

Unavailable at present
A handful of specially crafted glass valves each measuring one metre high are all that is stopping the historic home of Test Match Special, Yesterday in Parliament and the Daily Service going suddenly and permanently off air.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/oct/09/bbc-radio4-long-wave-goodbye

152501639_e78ec5b7b8_z.jpg

aaa0538.jpg

I'm certainly not having this!

Good Lord, I don't mind my missionary work here in the dark end of the continent but I am damned if I am going to tolerate the removal of The Today Programme and regular deliveries of Yorkshire Tea. It's the only thing that keeps me from insanity (some would say too late). These valves must be preserved, if not then the transmitter must be replaced with some kind of (ugh) transistor radio alternative. I'll just have to live with the reduction in quality.

It goes a good bit further than the article suggests - I have heard the Archers (!) all the way up the coast of the former Yugoslavia and back in the Radio 2 long wave days I heard Virginia Wade win her semi final at Wimbledon - I was half way up a mountain in Corfu. It was a great pleasure to trundle gently through France listening to England V Sri Lanka. DAB won`t do any of that.

Miserable news, esp. when there is actually no shortage of new-production water-cooled triodes available for transmitter use well into the 1MW+ range.

A concerted DIY effort may be required however, resources are currently allocated to finalise the Jonners-and-cake emulator. Current work on a satisfactory directly -heated-snigger without snubbing is proving difficult.

advertisement

Back