advertisement

Valve preamplifier, which one?

spedey_74

pfm Member
Instead of my Threshold Fet Ten, i would put a valve preamplifier in my set up. I I would like to have a little more warmth on the midrange, but i don't want only a side grade, but a little step up from my preamp.

My system is:

-pre line Threhsold Fet Ten HL
-pre phono EAR 834P
-amp Threshold S200
-player cd Naim CDX
-Speakers ProAC Response 2.5
-speakers cable Nordost LS Blue Heaven
-signal cable Cardas Neutral Ref and Naim grey standard cable

Size room about 20-23mq. I would buy a used gear: only line preamp or alternatively a all in one phono/line preamp and sell also my Ear 834P.

I tested a old Audio Research Sp11, very fine preamp with magical soundstage and very engaging bass, but too expensive. I also thought to:
-EAR 864
-Audio Note M2
-Audio Research Sp8-LS7
-Conrad Johnson Premier Ten

Any advice about this or other preamp?

I tested a old Audio Research Sp11, very fine preamp with magical soundstage and very engaging bass, but too expensive.

I think you answered your own question. Flog the pointless Nordost and Cardas on ebay, plus the 834p which you will no longer need, and you should be able to afford one, plus some bog standard studio wire from Canare/Mogami/Van Damme etc.

PS Mine replaced a Naim 552/Ayre KX-R - took about 10 seconds decide and I never looked back. You need a bit of magic in your music - don't settle for less. Some things are worth saving for :)

How about the Eastern Electric Avant Reference? A very fine preamp indeed. Also has a remote and can do both balanced and regular inputs/outputs.

Hmmm ! A decent little phono stage but no vinyl front end?. A slightly skewed option might be an E.A.R. integrated, as your Response 2.5s will respond to valve power and cut down boxes.

I don't know about the Nordost, but I ran Response 3s, 3.5s and 4s on NACA 5; in fact still use it for big Quads.

Lovely little 2.5s, but look out for (used) 3.5s; similar footprint but one helluva bigger and engaging sound, and better in some respects to my old R4s.

I favour E.A.R. as they're British (and local), well designed and built and have reasonable servicing costs, but seems you fancy American stuff.:confused:

PS Mine replaced a Naim 552/Ayre KX-R - took about 10 seconds decide and I never looked back. You need a bit of magic in your music - don't settle for less. Some things are worth saving for :)

My 82/HC/180 was replaced with an Audio Reasearch VSi60. I've never looked back either (and I managed to sell the bits for more than the AR cost!).

I admit, i really love the soundstage of the american amplifications. I'm sorry, i forgot to say about my turntable, it'a a basic old Project with Grado Green cartridge.

The new Nordost Blue Heaven has very sweet sound, i tried many speakers cable from Cardas, Audioquest, Mit, etc but the new Ls Blue Heaven is trasparent and smooth, not absolutely harsh.
Also the CDX with the standard Naim interconnect cable has a very pleasant sound, in my opinion it has a relaxed analogic presentation.

Go for a Croft 25R or a 25RS.
May not look like much but stunning sound quality for relatively little money and superb MM phono stage as well

You seem a bit over -gunned in the phono stage department for that combo.

Yes, it's true. But, for this moment i'm satisfied about the sound of my vynil set up. I would only try to add a little flavor to the sound of the whole set (player cd + vynil)... :)

TRON would be an excellent choice - great sound quality, from no-cost spared designs, with battleship build quality.

Art Audio would be another suggestion.

Bump... :)

I tried a Spectral Dmc15 ss, it has a superb sound but it's too expensive for me.
I also tried a Mark Levinson 380, but it's not my taste (a little hars in the midrange). The same it's for Audio Research LS5, i tried this ARC but in my set up it has a over bloom bass frequencies.

Now i'm searching for a preamp around £800/£1200 (valve is preferably for my actual taste, but will be ok also a nice and warm ss), any suggestions?

I think you answered your own question. Flog the pointless Nordost and Cardas on ebay, plus the 834p which you will no longer need, and you should be able to afford one, plus some bog standard studio wire from Canare/Mogami/Van Damme etc.

+1 superb. The SP8 is also great and much cheaper.

advertisement

Back