advertisement

valve amp reliability

I completely agree with both of your posts toprepairman, basic theory. What I don't agree with is that it is particularly relevant to the final result.
A typical valve amp draws its main HT through the centre tap of the output transformer. HT to earlier stages is independently RC filtered and decoupled and so irrelevant. The dynamic impedance seen by the amp at this point is almost entirely defined by the value and ESR of the final smoothing capacitor which feeds the centre tap (ESR less important than in a SS amp.. low current, high voltage here) and that is the important point.
In the bad old days when 8uF smoothing caps were common then a choke was helpful in getting ripple down to sensible proportions. Today (and for well over 30 years in fact) we have much bigger caps available and don't need chokes at all.
A typical 1953 or so supply with a pi section, a pair of 8uF caps and a 10H choke has several times the ripple voltage and dynamic output impedance of a more modern set up with a pair of 220uF caps and 100R resistor in the same pi configuration. So what if we use the 10H choke with the modern 220uF caps? The large caps so dominate everything that it makes bugger all difference. In fact the choke version would have slightly higher dynamic output impedance as frequency goes up as the inductance of the choke will isolate the capacitance of the first smoothing cap more than the resistor will... by a pedantically tiny amount...

A choke input filter would make very little difference for the same reasons as above when modern large caps are used. It can of course draw power much more smoothly and so generate less EMI but this is of highly tenuous advantage IMHO.

My phono stage supply goes from a raw 800V down to 250V via 1 x 6080WA triode preregulator, 4 x 6GC5 beam power tubes as B+ regulator, 4 x 6JC6A pentodes as B+ regulator error amplifier and 6 x 5651 as B+ regulator voltage references. This dispenses with capacitively decoupled passive low-pass filtering and associated large value electrolytic capacitors.

Is this silly?

My phono stage supply goes from a raw 800V down to 250V via 1 x 6080WA triode preregulator, 4 x 6GC5 beam power tubes as B+ regulator, 4 x 6JC6A pentodes as B+ regulator error amplifier and 6 x 5651 as B+ regulator voltage references. This dispenses with capacitively decoupled passive low-pass filtering and associated large value electrolytic capacitors.

Is this silly?

If it really exists (photos) it's complete madness in this day and age as every part of that can be done much better by SS. No contest. If it keeps you off the streets though...:D

Counterpoint SA9 listed in my profile for yonks - keeps me out of the dealers:)

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Counterpoint SA9 listed in my profile for yonks - keeps me out of the dealers:)

Anyway, thanks for the responses.
blimey a Clounterpoint SA9......,I used to have one and still have a complete set of NOS Tubes for it never used. Interested?

It doesn't have to be complicated. As Tony says you are just connecting it to a different part of the transformer and engaging fewer coils.

Found a way to share picture. Unison Research S6 (new type) amplifier. I think this is where voltage can be changed, not sure about if it is so simple as just move wire to next position. I do not know how that board looks from other side.

It's not possible to say from that photo. It would need the service manual or to be able to properly examine it to say for sure.

One good thing about valve amps is when they fail they only tend to harm themseves. When solid state amps fail the badly designed ones without proper speaker protection can send DC through your valuable speaker destroys the voice coils and crossover, in some cases of some really bad ones even setting the speakers alight! No valve amp can do that as the output transformer blocks DC. The amp may blow itself up, but it is harmless to the surrounding components as long as it doesn’t actually catch fire!

Hmmm that's Not Very Audiophile.

advertisement

Back