Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Valve amp for Tannoys

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by jonnypsvinyl, Nov 4, 2020.

1. anubisgrau

anubisgrau pfm Member

ah, right! though i would expect to find zh270 in 2-2.5k range....

2. 749er

749er pfm Member

I have an Eastern Electric M88 with upgraded Tungsol KT120 tubes Fitted, listed in the for sale section at £1100. They are £3000 new so it’s a bit of a bargain.

wonderful amp, 2x40W, remote control

fully boxed with 4 cartons

3. Hooch500

Hooch500 pfm Member

There's a Beard BB100 on E bay at a very reasonable cost. Not cosmetically perfect but 6 EL84's per channel gets my vote.

4. jonnypsvinyl

jonnypsvinyl pfm Member

Thanks for all the replies. I now have an Art Audio Concerto, courtesy of a PFMer, which is doing the job very nicely indeed. A pair of Avondale Voyagers will be for sale shortly!

montesquieu, effinity and eastone like this.
  5. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

This is a 50W valve amp. Won’t the valves keep blowing?

6. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

I see the OP got fixed up with an Art Concerto which is a great choice, but just to say I heard a Beard P35 (same arrangement, 6 EL84s per channel) with my Tannoy HPDs and it was extremely good for the sort of money it sells for - that extra clout makes all the difference and the character of the EL84 still shines through. I couldn't see the BB100 on ebay (maybe sold already) but there's a BB101 which is a similar Beard parallel push pull amp, only with EL34s.

7. jonnypsvinyl

jonnypsvinyl pfm Member

50w is the critical point, after which explosions occur.

8. Hooch500

Hooch500 pfm Member

Yep your right its gone !

9. Hooch500

Hooch500 pfm Member

EL84's pretty robust in the right circuit and a hell of a lot cheaper to replace than some !

10. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

I’m very tempted by it, I’ve heard good things about old Beard amps. Let’s see what the end of the month looks like!