Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Valve amp for Tannoys

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by jonnypsvinyl, Nov 4, 2020.

1. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

The Jadis has autobias and can take 34's and 6550's. Mind I have never tried EL34's in it or the previous smaller unit the DA50s. The Jadis was originally designed to run with 34's, 6550, KT88 and KT90's. The KT120's came afterwards and Jadis have confirmed that they can be used.

2. wainwj

wainwj pfm Member

The only valve amp that I have tried with my 15” HPD’s was an integrated 2a3 of around 18w I believe. (Puresound)
    It was a particularly short lived combination, so certainly no match made in heaven.
    Seeing the suggestions above, did I simply try an amp based on the wrong type of valve for my Tannoys?
    Is 18w of 2a3 completely different to, say 18w of el34 power?
    My understanding of valve amps is minimal and now wondering if I should try again,maybe with Quad II Eighty’s or the like?

3. wainwj

wainwj pfm Member

Apologies for tangent. Just realised this is in the classifieds and not the discussion area.
    With that in mind :) I’ve got a Puresound 2a3 going spare, but likely better options out there for your particular application.

4. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

I ran the Puresound 2A3 quite successfully with my old 15in Monitor Golds but I would doubt very much if it would be man enough for 15in HPDs. They are just a different animal altogether. Quad II Eighty's would be bang on in my opinion (or something of that ilk).

Also EL34s aren't going to give you 18w unless you do something daft with them like wire them as triodes. Something between 25w and 40w would be more typical for push-pull EL34s, depending how they were implemented.

5. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

So, Radford experts, is the STA15 not the right sort of amp after all? The reason I ask is that sometimes the techies seem to say that the power is not what matters, it’s the quality of the output transformer. And they then go on to say that the Radford’s OT is so fabulous that it’ll drive anything . . . I have no idea whether this is bullshit it not.

6. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

I would have no hesitation at all in saying that the STA15 would be powerful enough into 12" HPD's.

The 10wpc Leak ST20 is plenty into 15" HPD's.

7. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

Hmmm. I would agree on the Radford. Not on the Leak. (Having owned 12in and 15in Golds and HPDs, an STA25 and STA100, several St20 and a pair of TL12s.) But I guess it depends totally on what your expectations are. The Leak will ‘work’ but can surely be bettered.

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  8. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

All I can say is that my ST20 sounds superb to my ears into my 15" HPD's, far beyond simply "working". That's in light of direct comparisons against several highly regarded 100wpc SS amps and my STA25.

12" are obviously going to be a bit less efficient.

I'm not claiming the ST20 to be the best amp in the world but it's a seriously good amp into appropriate speakers. Someone coming from a background of SS amps and less efficient speakers will be amazed how far 10wpc gets you into big efficient Tannoys.

9. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

A friend has Rodgers Cadet 2 and 3 he might sell...both pre and power...He lives in Whitchurch in Shropshire...All in excellent condition, I have been told.

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It will be absolutely fine unless you are stone deaf and want to create the front row of a Motorhead gig in your front room, and then you shouldn’t really be using Tannoys at all IMHO. With the exception of the much later SRM, SGM, FSM etc they were never actually designed for crazy rock levels at all!

11. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I had 15" Monitor Golds in the mid '70s, and that's what I am looking for now. I have GRF cabinets available, so just the drivers.

Darmok likes this.
  12. James46

James46 The Crystal Method

I have a Croft 4S that would work really well, 60W enough for HPDs, you need PP for them as SET just doesn't seem to work well.

13. jonnypsvinyl

jonnypsvinyl pfm Member

Lots of helpful stuff here. They are 12" HPDs, to be clear. And I think its fair to say there is no clear consensus on what works well with them! I've got a few leads so I'll follow those up.

mandryka likes this.
  14. anubisgrau

anubisgrau pfm Member

No one mentioned Berning.

Doh...

15. montesquieu

montesquieu pfm Member

Not in budget I suspect.

16. anubisgrau

anubisgrau pfm Member

ah, right! though i would expect to find zh270 in 2-2.5k range....

17. 749er

749er pfm Member

I have an Eastern Electric M88 with upgraded Tungsol KT120 tubes Fitted, listed in the for sale section at £1100. They are £3000 new so it’s a bit of a bargain.

wonderful amp, 2x40W, remote control

fully boxed with 4 cartons

18. Hooch500

Hooch500 pfm Member

There's a Beard BB100 on E bay at a very reasonable cost. Not cosmetically perfect but 6 EL84's per channel gets my vote.

19. jonnypsvinyl

jonnypsvinyl pfm Member

Thanks for all the replies. I now have an Art Audio Concerto, courtesy of a PFMer, which is doing the job very nicely indeed. A pair of Avondale Voyagers will be for sale shortly!

montesquieu, effinity and eastone like this.
  20. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

This is a 50W valve amp. Won’t the valves keep blowing?