Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Valve amp for Tannoys

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by jonnypsvinyl, Nov 4, 2020.

1. jonnypsvinyl

jonnypsvinyl pfm Member

I'd like to have a play with a valve amp on my Tannoy HPDs. I have a pre amp and a DAC with a volume control so don't need a volume control or integrated (although the former isn't a deal breaker as I know some valve power amps have attenuators).

£2kish budget, and I don't want anything too obscure that will be hard to move on again. I think likely candidates would be PP at 25W+.

Let me know if you have anything - thanks.

2. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

3. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

Plenty of power there.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

A Leak Stereo 20, pair of TL12+, pair of Quad IIs or Radford would all come in comfortably under budget and leave sufficient cash for a proper high quality restoration. I’d be happy with any of those. Alternatively for something more modern a second hand Leben 300 or Manley Stingray would be a good call. Also don’t overlook US high-end of the ‘80s, quite a few Conrad Johnson and Audio Research valve power amps are in that budget. They’d likely need some restoration, but so will the vintage UK stuff. They’ll all hold their value well too as long as any restoration is sensible.

Mike P likes this.
  5. Fergus

Fergus pfm Member

FWIW I used a Leben CS300XS with my Art Emotion loudspeakers and it was fantastic. Great little amp if you can find one.

6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

7. jonnypsvinyl

jonnypsvinyl pfm Member

Thanks for the replies. Not keen on the little Lebens and don't need an integrated. The Radford would be good but is too far from me.

8. Ducatiist

Ducatiist pfm Member

Whereabouts are you? I've a pair of Mullard 5-20 mono blocks (modern build by Matamp) on Ebay at present that should be a good match.
    Bought these a few years ago from Dandy...who bought them from SMEagol on the Wam. They caused quite a stir back then due to their looks.
    Trying to sell them on Ebay has been a bit of a pain with idiots pressing buy-it-now then backing out or wanting shipping to Taiwan and Hong Kong...when it clearly states collection only!
    No hard sell, just might help prospective sellers (probably best to collect a valve amp to avoid damage in transit).
    Good luck with your search.:)

9. early

early pfm Member

Audio note Oto SE is worth checking out, I had one with my Chatsworths and it was a good match.

10. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

What would be a minimum as far as watts go?

Appreciate that it's not normally that simple

11. jonnypsvinyl

jonnypsvinyl pfm Member

North Essex. So quite a way from you. These probably fall into the "obscure" category for me too, tbh. If they didn't work I'd be left facing the same challenge as you trying to move them on. Sorry.

Single digit SE output might be pushing it, but open to suggestions otherwise.

12. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Agreed...

[​IMG]

Darmok, The Bish and Elephantears like this.
  13. effinity

effinity pfm Member

14. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

I had one of these Art Audio Quintets years ago. Really lovely amp if used with moderately efficient speakers.
    Advert refers to a Hovland caps upgrade which is something that Tom Willis (the designer/owner of Art Audio) used to offer. Worth checking if he did the work.
    Some of these amps also offer a switch to go from triode to ultra linear operation. Don't understand what the technical difference is but from memory its supposed to be a trade-off between better transparency (triode) and better bass control/power (UL). I used Triode.
    I wouldn't be put off by the much cheaper price. Art Audio don't have the same brand profile as other makes. I am tempted myself though I ought to be selling kit rather than buying more!!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=264921526733

effinity likes this.
  15. adamski505

adamski505 Active Member

Rradford all day long

Darmok likes this.
  16. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

17. gamut

gamut pfm Member

In the past I had a pair of Tannoy15inch DMT15 loudspeakers which I have driven using low powered 8watt 300B and 10watt EL34 valve amps, all of which sounded fine, the best results however were achieved with higher powered amps typically around 100watt giving better dynamics and better bass control.

18. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

100w driving 92dB Tannoys? What you said above sums up my findings with 300B amps and 90dB NS1000Ms

19. early

early pfm Member

At the risk of dragging this wanted add further off topic here's my view on Tannoys and power.

They don't need it, but they are fussy about the amount of NFB an amplifier has.

Dan K likes this.
  20. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

I had great results with an Eastern Electric M520 ~24w p/p integrated with EL34s. These aren’t expensive amps to buy but it sounded glorious. £700 should get you a good one; add £300 for a set of NOS preamp valves and a new matched quad of EL34s or KT77s and you’ll have a killer amp for your Tannoys...