advertisement

Value/Sell Original Paintings?

Gerard124

Tempus fugit, memento mori
I have a set of 3 original paintings by local artist Chris Sims (deceased) who used to give my son art lessons.

They are framed acrylics of Manchester City footballers Colin Bell, Mike Summerbee (includes Autograph) & Francis Lee. If I recall correctly the paintings were featured in an event at the new Manchester City ground and I'm pretty sure I have an article stashed away from Lancashire Life magazine about them.

I have no idea of best way to value/sell them?

As they are so specific to Manchester City, you should do as Woodface suggests and take them locally.

All auction auction houses now use a web based solution called the saleroom.com so the audience is worldwide.

I’d also have a look online to see if there are records of any other works by the same artist being sold to get an idea of value before approaching an auctioneer.

@Gerard124 this website has some auction estimates largely in the £80-120 range, which I seem to remember is code for something like “we haven’t a clue if they’re going to sell”.

If you have the space for, and like, them, I’d keep them, otherwise, eBay and/or an art dealer/auctioneer near you.

It depends on how famous he is and how local that 'fame'. I buy and sell Art a fair bit at auction.
Step 1. Google his name. If you get hits, you can find sold work and price it.
2. IF it's very well known, then contact a 'good' auction house and just take them for a valuation meeting with your research. A big house produces a pre auction on line catalogue and has an active on line live sale at auction time.
3. If he isn't famous, I'd take them on a Saturday to City's ground, prop them on a railing and ticket them the price you want. A VERY good photorealistic painting about A1 in size might go for £150 +? A2, maybe £70-£100??
All that will happen in a local auction is them going for 30-70 each (ish) unless you strike lucky and there are 2 City fans with a bulging wallet wanting to bid.

If BTC's link is him, they look fine, so opt 4, why not phone city themselves and mention the press event. Do they want them?

I think I remember those, I won’t be the only City fan who does as well. Were they in the original City Social as well?
Maybe try the Blue Moon Forum?

My lay gran bought some original paintings by a local Scarborough artist for about £180 each in the late 70s early 80s. Quite a bit of money back then, when we wound up her estate they were worth less than she paid.

advertisement

Back