advertisement

Value of an AT-440Mlb cartridge?

eastone

pfm Member
My brother has bent the stylus of his 440-Mlb and is unsure whether to replace it or sell the cartridge on its own.

What would the cartridge alone be worth? Not many results for sold examples.

It’ll be £165 and up for a compatible replacement stylus…

No more than 50% of the cost difference between a new AT-VM510CB* and a VMN40ML replacement stylus.

So, that's (£95 - £165) / 2, meaning that your brother might have to pay someone up to 35 quid to take it off his hands.

Of course, there are lots of people who think that they can straighten the cantilever, and/or have some sort of misguided faith that it won't plough their records to death as is.

* Same improved body/generator as AT-VM540ML, the current equivalent of AT440MLb.

P.S. I notice that full retail for VMN40ML is £189.99 direct from A-T. £165 wouldn't be so bad a price for the equivalent of a new AT-VM540ML (£229.99 direct from A-T).

Thanks Craig… that sounds fairly definitive.

If it were me I’d buy the replacement, but not sure he’s up for the outlay.

Are there no compatible styli a bit further down the AT range?
Yes. I use an AT100e. I believe it has the same body as the 440. My plan in fact was to replace the ATN100e stylus with an ATN440mlb & have a backup. But it didn't happen because I found the 100e adequate.

Other styli may fit but I don't have time to check, sorry.

I have ordered a 120E stylus from Mantra Audio… £32

Thanks for the info all.
120E is a fine cartridge and 32 quid is a bit of a bargain. Mantra can't be having many of these left as audio-technica stopped producing the old series styli, as their current series fit bodies going back quite some years.

For reference, I put together a list on here as to which current A-T styli fit which older cartridge models. A-T have theirs but it is incomplete.

On closer inspection I seem to have bought a reproduction 120E… an original is priced at £89.

Are these reproductions decent?

(If you hadn’t figured out already I’m not a vinyl user…)

On closer inspection I seem to have bought a reproduction 120E… an original is priced at £89.

Are these reproductions decent?

(If you hadn’t figured out already I’m not a vinyl user…)
No way to tell really, other than to give it a go and find out.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, as one can have a brand new AT-VM95C ('C' for conical tip) phono cartridge for only two more quid. Or, the budget darling AT-VM95E ('E' for elliptical) at circa £49.

Is your brother prepared to spend the extra for the genuine ATN120E item? Perhaps Mantra can change the order in the morning.

It is best to confirm, but I think you could fit a VMN10CB stylus into the body. Around £40 to £50 for some conical stylus fun…and less hassle than fitting a new cartridge.
Good shout! Yes, any VMN model will fit (this from A-T).

advertisement

Back