advertisement

Valuation help, Tannoy system 800A studio monitors?

Markie

pfm Member
All in the title really, I have a pair of the above which I bought on a whim about 10 years ago and have never used.In very nice condition considering the age and sound beautiful.

Just wondering if they are valued as an old pair of sapeakers or whether there is any collector premium.

Very few of the pro Tannoy studio monitors are worth a lot. If they're in good condition you might get £400 or so for them. They are really good speakers, just not as collectible as the more classic range.

Very few out there and prices all over the place so it's whatever somebody is willing to pay.

They clearly couldn't have sold well when new.

I think they’re similar to the i8 I own, The driver is really good, it’s like a mini big Tannoy in my opinion anyway. The going price is something like £250-£300 for the i8. I suspect the power amp isn’t that big a bonus, do you know who made it for Tannoy? That could help. There are plenty of nice reviews on the web. I suspect with luck and a following wind you’d be looking at £350-£400.

The target market for the 800A was near field monitoring above the meter bridge of a mixing desk, and dual concentric designs are really good for this, since the symmetrical sweet spot means you can sit or stand and move around whilst mixing without it making an obvious difference to the frequency response at the crossover frequency. Typical 2 way speakers used for this tend to get laid on their sides so that moving your head vertically doesn't affect the sound as much, and funnily enough the tannoy design that doesn't need this (dual concentric) still is designed with this in mind, with the logo being able to be swivelled between horizontal and vertical depending on how they are placed.

I agree, they are likely to go for around £400 if you sold them. They don't have much of a reputation (good or bad), the earlier tannoys like the LRMs being the collectable ones.

advertisement

Back