advertisement

Vaccine recipients....

There will be more data by the time September rolls around.
Maybe 3rd and 4th jabs will be a no brainer by then, or not.

I don't go anywhere except out on the bike on my own so no super spreader

Although those doses would do a lot more good if they were sent to countries where most of the population hasn't even received one dose.

I agree with this. It is our good fortune in the UK to have been at the forefront of vaccine development with the Oxford AZ vaccine and given this it should be no surprise that we have had good access to it. We also have a massive investment in spare doses from other sources as they get made. I shall probably forego the third jab till the time when all that want immunisation in other countries have received the full two injection course.

I think that is reasonable, and certainly not anything approaching an anti-vaccination stance. I was keen as mustard to get my two doses of AZ.

Also I think it is time to accept that in the UK with our very high levels of vaccination among the most at risk groups it is time to get back to normal by recinding the majority of the current Covid restrictions. Those still not vaccinated or vaccinated fully, are the least at risk of serious effects, or death. Probably no more at risk than from any other normal activities in life. Nothing is risk free, ... even crossing the road or being a pedestrian. Within a couple of months anyone who may usefully be vaccinated will have been. After that the link between Covid and death will have been broken.

Which brings us full circle. Till everyone on the Earth who might usefully be vaccinated and who wants to be, then having a third dose here in the UK seems to me close to unreasonable.

Best wishes from George

EDIT PS:

Dr Campbell seems to agree with me ... [update since my posts]:

Mutual recognition of vaccines has to be sorted or this is going into massive mutual retaliation and the end of all international trade

If the UK does not recognise my South Korea made AZ, why should Asia recognise the UK one for business travellers coming in?

In Ireland, we’ve just opened up 18-35 to have vaccines at local pharmacies as well as the big centres (sports stadia), they can have J&J (1 shot) or AZ (2) or wait for their turn with Pfizer but that will be later in the summer.

I had J&J (aged 52), felt not great for 36h after and then fine since (it was 7 weeks ago). I wasn’t delighted to get it as was concerned on effectiveness on Delta etc but the good news in the last 24h is that it seems to be effective against Delta too (on par with AZ). I do expect to be offered a booster of Pfizer or Moderna in the autumn.

After a slow start due to supply issues, the process here really is picking up dramatically - close to 70% first dose and 45%+ fully and both numbers rising fast. Looks like we did 1.5% of the adult population in 1 day on Thurs alone.

Last edited:
Still about 4 weeks to go for my second jab, not been offered anything sooner contrary to the ramp up of second jabs reported.

they won't offer, you need to contact your gp if booked through them, or go on the NHS booking site and change it yourself. The latter is what both me and the Mrs did for jab 2

they won't offer, you need to contact your gp if booked through them, or go on the NHS booking site and change it yourself. The latter is what both me and the Mrs did for jab 2

Does having it sooner not alter the efficacy? I thought they were a set distance apart for good reason?

Does having it sooner not alter the efficacy? I thought they were a set distance apart for good reason?
IIRC the original interval was set at 21 days, and there was much concern about the guvmint strategy to extend this to 12 weeks. Subsequent studies suggested this was a) fine and b) might actually improve efficacy, so I’d personally be fine with 6-8 weeks but would not want to go back to 21 days.

Covid variants: latest on the Indian, UK, South African and Brazilian variants
Updated 9 July 2021
The latest info on the Indian, UK, South African and Brazilian variants of coronavirus, including if they’re more deadly, and how they respond to vaccines.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informations...ews/coronavirus-and-your-health/covid-variant

Is the Oxford/AstaZeneca vaccine effective against the Delta variant of coronavirus?

Yes, the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is effective against the Delta variant, as long as you have both doses. A study published by Public Health England (PHE) on 22 May showed that, two weeks after the second dose, the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine offered 60% protection in preventing Covid-19 illness caused by the Delta variant.

The same research, conducted between 5 April and 6 May, showed the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is 33% effective against the variant three weeks after the first dose. So it’s really important to get the second dose when you get offered it.

The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is even more effective when it comes to preventing severe illness caused by the Delta variant, especially after two doses. On June 14 PHE published a study showing that the Oxford/ AstraZeneca vaccine was highly effective at preventing severe disease and hospitalisation from the Delta variant of Covid-19. The study looked at emergency hospital admissions between 12 April and 4 June in England. It showed that the Oxford/ AstraZeneca vaccine was 92% effective at preventing hospitalisation with the Delta variant after two doses, and 71% effective after one dose.

Is the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine effective against the Alpha strain?

Research suggests that the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is effective against the Alpha variant, especially after two doses.

A study published by Public Health England (PHE) on 22 May showed , two weeks after the second dose, the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine was 66% effective at preventing symptomatic cases of Covid caused by Alpha variant - well above the 50% minimum level of protection that is recommended by the World Health Organization. The same research, conducted between 5 April and 6 May, showed the vaccine was 50% effective against the variant three weeks after the first dose. So it’s really important to get the second dose when you are offered it.

Is the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine effective against the Beta strain?

A small study of 2,000 people in South Africa has shown that the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine offers minimal protection against mild cases of the Beta variant, but the vaccine is still likely to reduce severe cases and deaths from the strain.

The study, which was based people of an average age of 31, shows that protection may be as low as 10%. The research wasn’t able to determine whether it protects against serious illness or hospitalisation, because this group of people were at low risk of serious illness. Other research suggests that the vaccine is still likely to reduce severe cases and deaths from the B.1.351 strain. More research is needed in this area.

Oxford University is working on adapting the vaccine to ensure that it protects against this variant, as well as other strains. They have said a ‘booster’ jab could be available by autumn 2021.

Is the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine effective against the Gamma variant of coronavirus?

Early results from lab studies show antibodies made in response to the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine are still active, though slightly less effective against mutations in the Gamma variant. Researchers are continuing to examine whether there is any impact on the effectiveness of the vaccine when used in real people.

The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine contains the genetic instructions for the whole coronavirus spike protein – different immune cells will react to different parts of the spike, producing antibodies which target different areas. This reduces the chances that any individual mutation present in new coronavirus strains will make the vaccine less effective. But researchers are continuing to examine how effective the vaccine is against the Gamma variant.

Got my second AZ this afternoon. Still not receiving 5G.
It's getting there:
image.png

Just had my second Pfizer dose, surprisingly compared with the first time I was there it was empty this time, considering it is the main large hospital for the whole area.

She did warn me about side effects from the 2nd dose so I'll see how it goes, a day off work would be nice.

Just had my fourth. Defo less groggy this time. The UK ones made me feel groggy, but the french ones put me in bed for 2 days, starting the day after the jab. 2 astrazenecas in uk, 2 modernas in France.

I see that moderna injects 100ml of the gloop whereas the astrazeneca one is only 50ml.

I had my two Pfizer injections in Spain in April/May and only had mild after effects, my wife also had her two in May. Hooray, we now have Covid passports the Spanish/EU kind. This allowed us to sail through the health checks past a big queue in Warsaw airport with no requirement to isolate or quarantine. We are avoiding public transport and taking care with hands feet and bumps-a-daisy or whatever BoJo calls it.

FF

advertisement

Back