advertisement

Vaccine recipients....

A few weeks ago I compared the death toll from the 1918 flu to COVID and the 1918 flu was about 4x worse than COVID in the US - probably similar across Europe.
Then it occurred to me that without modern technology, specifically to allow remote work, remote schooling, and the vaccine technology, that COVID would likely have ended up as bad or worse than 1918, since many more people would have had to continue working in person and we would have had to let it burn itself out through herd immunity - likely a process of many years and countless millions of deaths.

How fortunate that we have modern technology, not least the vaccine technology.

Second jab of Pfizer vaccine today. The nurse advised 24 hours of paracetamol.
Nothing, no symptoms after 8 hours.
Do I take paracetamol or not?

I had my second dose today, uneventful but for the fact on the way there, I walked past Ian Rankin having a coffee outside in St.Andrews Square then when I got to St. Cuthberts church at the other end of Princes St, it was Ruth Davidson talking very animatedly to a man wearing a bad rug in the church grounds. Is it a portent?

Second jab of Pfizer vaccine today. The nurse advised 24 hours of paracetamol.
Nothing, no symptoms after 8 hours.
Do I take paracetamol or not?

My flu like symptoms started more like 12-14 hours after my second moderna (peaked at 24 hours later and lasted 2-3 days). I think if you make it for 24 hours with no symptoms you're probably in the clear, but 8 hours is too soon.

I had a AZ first jab in UK and was ill for 5 days. As bad as getting covid, it felt.

I had a second jab (Pfizer this time) in France and was in bed for 24 hours. 2 days later I was ok again.

I had a AZ first jab in UK and was ill for 5 days. As bad as getting covid, it felt.

I had a second jab (Pfizer this time) in France and was in bed for 24 hours. 2 days later I was ok again.
You may have been better having Pfizer first and AZ second as the way around you had them is when side effects are most common. Good of you to take this experiment!

You may have been better having Pfizer first and AZ second as the way around you had them is when side effects are most common. Good of you to take this experiment!
Unfortunately I need to take a 3rd to ensure overseas travel. Which one though?!

Interesting, why did you mix them, I did not think this was recommended or even advisable?

I suspect a 2nd pfizer might offer slightly higher overall protection and slightly lower odds of the AZ associated clotting, but in reality the differences are probably minuscule, so in your situation if you need two of the same (for a "vaccine passport") I'd get whichever one I could get most easily, and within the correct 2nd dose time window. If you wait more than 6 weeks in the US I think they make you start the 2 dose course again (even though that's likely pointless).

advertisement

Back