advertisement

Vaccine recipients....

Cheers guys, but we are just one part of this Bl00dy war we are in! We will win, but think there will be a fare few more casualties before we get there though!
Indeed, my heart goes out to those that witness the suffering and loss of life from Covid day in day out. I’ve seen my brother break down into tears a few times. I have quite a few friends and family who work for the NHS and elderly care.:(

Amplification may be the least of your problems. Have you considered consulting pfm's DIY helpers?

Mine too, but luckily I had a backup. My lovely amp has been repaired, but is still at the repairers for lockdown reasons. We won't post as it weighs 50kg and is a bit delicate.

Wouldn't hesitate to post a thread, but one of my 'local' hifi mafia makes his own kit and others are valve and ESL followers. He's offered to look at my 912 pre. (no phono working) as I don't have the correct torx driver (whatever size that might be) but now, the lockdown is preventing me from running it over to him ( or vice versa) the 509 mono fuse blowing is more of a mystery as I folled EAR advice yesterday and swapped the relevant signal valve s around, but no luck.

I'm just biding my time (since November as the pre. defaulted on my birthday session !!!!) to either get the amps back to EAR or acquire a torx set or buy a beefy class A amp. as a back-up cum experiment. Still have CDP, tuner and good cans/can-amp. Something will turn up.

Indeed, my heart goes out to those that witness the suffering and loss of life from Covid day in day out.

I find it hard to believe that they can, for so long and for so many times, but of course, many can't, and most will take a long time to forget this particularly parlous outbreak with currently, no lessening in sight. Time of year exacerbates not only the infectiousness but the general mood and efficiency of operations as well. The only chinks of light are that we're well into January with spring not so far away, and the roll-out of vaccinations. Hopefully, these situations and the outbreak will 'meet in the middle', so to speak, a couple of months ahead. We're not the only country thus affected, though.

I find it hard to believe that they can, for so long and for so many times, but of course, many can't, and most will take a long time to forget this particularly parlous outbreak with currently, no lessening in sight. Time of year exacerbates not only the infectiousness but the general mood and efficiency of operations as well. The only chinks of light are that we're well into January with spring not so far away, and the roll-out of vaccinations. Hopefully, these situations and the outbreak will 'meet in the middle', so to speak, a couple of months ahead. We're not the only country thus affected, though.
Yes, it’s a scary time for sure. I think they cope because for every loss, there are ultimately many more lives saved by their work. Our NHS and health care workers are a special breed, extremely resilient. My brother was in work at 6AM on New Year’s Day, did eight hours and then went on call... he was back out at 8PM for an emergency call out and got back home at 5AM on the 2nd. I don’t know how they do it.

Hope you’re keeping well and that you get your vaccine soon by the way. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

My local surgery is still showing the same notice they put up in September. It just says they are ready willing and able to go when they can. But it says nothing about the approval of three vaccines, whether they have received any yet..whether they have started yet or where they are up to if they have. There's also a 'Don't Call Us' clause.. which IMHO makes it even more important that they are clear and up to date in their messaging.

It's a bit disappointing really.

I did a bit of digging yesterday and found that they have a little under 5000 registered patients. It seems that 71% of those are in full time work or education...so I suppose it is reasonable to assume that the 71% are all 65 or under. There will be a number of little 'uns below school age. From my researches that is about 4% nationally. So that leaves 25% of the register over 65. Nationally, the 65-69 age group is about 3.4% ..leaving about 21.5%. The 70 -75 group..which includes me.. is also about 4%.. so that leaves about 17.5% ahead of my group..which is around 875 people. Only rough working of course..

Wonder how long it takes to do 875 jabs? Assuming they are available....:rolleyes:

A local practice here got through 1000 this weekend

Just watched the 10 o'clock news on the Beeb, having watched it on ITV just before 6. Different headlines. The current CV19 hotspot? Just about the most unlikely county I'd think of; Surrey !!!!! Hospital morgues are full so they're loading a newly converted ex military site with capacity for many hundreds and already have well over 100 waiting there.

We didn't have this is the first lockdown, to my memory. I know it's the middle of annual Coronavirus season but what has gone wrong? Pre Christmas prep's? People STILL not fully cognisant with the danger to most ages now? I dunno; I stay at home and am happy there, and only go out to shop weekly at some god-forgiven hour (<8 on a Saturday) or a short walk. Maybe it's easier at my age to 'lock down'.

Leafy Surrey; who'd 've thought it? Beyond my comprehension.

Just watched the 10 o'clock news on the Beeb, having watched it on ITV just before 6. Different headlines. The current CV19 hotspot? Just about the most unlikely county I'd think of; Surrey !!!!! Hospital morgues are full so they're loading a newly converted ex military site with capacity for many hundreds and already have well over 100 waiting there.

We didn't have this is the first lockdown, to my memory. I know it's the middle of annual Coronavirus season but what has gone wrong? Pre Christmas prep's? People STILL not fully cognisant with the danger to most ages now? I dunno; I stay at home and am happy there, and only go out to shop weekly at some god-forgiven hour (<8 on a Saturday) or a short walk. Maybe it's easier at my age to 'lock down'.

Leafy Surrey; who'd 've thought it? Beyond my comprehension.

bizarre times indeed Mike.

a few nephews really struggling, and not finding it particularly easy myself seeing others distressed.
always less complicated when it is your own issue

You're assuming that you'll be offered a vaccination at your surgery, Mull.

Not necessarily. I do know for instance that some people are getting jabs at the St Helens RL Ground. What I'm getting at is that however they plan to do it.. there has been no change in the on-site info at my GP Surgery since Sept.

Last edited:
As I mentioned on another thread , we have weekly zoom services now and often feature the many nhs workers experiences.today was 2 Gp's and one Dr in palliative care outlining some of the challenges. Good to hear it first hand . Not heard of anyone locally having had vaccine yet but I am sure it will come . Mil is a bit put out they delayed her second jab by 3 months !!

Finally some info. I checked with St Helens.Gov and this made clear that for the present, all St Helens based GP Surgeries are collaborating to deliver jabs at St Helens RLFC Ground. This was used by some local GPs ( not mine) for the Flu Jab in 2020..and by all accounts was very well run/managed.Thing is.. as above, my local GP Surgery website has no link to the St Helens.Gov site and I therefore assume that I'm not the only one wondering WTF is happening.
I will contact my own GP Surgery tomorrow and politely request that they update their info... including a link to St Helens.Gov.

I'm reading some apparently informed sources which have many areas of Northwest England at an 'R' of over 2. Even St Helens. which is generally lower.. is showing at around 1.6. Scary stuff.

Wouldn't hesitate to post a thread, but one of my 'local' hifi mafia makes his own kit and others are valve and ESL followers. He's offered to look at my 912 pre. (no phono working) as I don't have the correct torx driver (whatever size that might be) but now, the lockdown is preventing me from running it over to him ( or vice versa) the 509 mono fuse blowing is more of a mystery as I folled EAR advice yesterday and swapped the relevant signal valve s around, but no luck.

I'm just biding my time (since November as the pre. defaulted on my birthday session !!!!) to either get the amps back to EAR or acquire a torx set or buy a beefy class A amp. as a back-up cum experiment. Still have CDP, tuner and good cans/can-amp. Something will turn up.

For a backup spare amp I recommend you consider BK...(BKelec.com). The beeb used to use them. I have used two of their mono amps as dedicated tweeter amps in my tri- amped system. They rarely develop any fault, BK's backup is superb. Their latest 'Pear Drop' amp is £210, and it may be ideal for you.

Aged Parents had their first jab today. Pfizer. Told to expect the second between 3 and 12 weeks.

Wife (NHS) will get hers next week. I'm a few months down the line, I think. As we've both had Covid, and the latest research seems to suggest long-standing immunity, I'm pretty relaxed about that. Mrs P-T would have liked to have her antibodies tested before she has the jab, see what the levels are line >8 months on (she was tested at 5 months, levels still good) as once she's had the jab that data will be lost, but nobody seems to be doing that. I'd quite like an antibody test too, for the same reason.
Mrs P-T had her first yesterday. Told to expect the second in 12 weeks.

More or Less on R4 today debunked the ‘only 50% immunity after one jab’ thing. It seems that after 2-3 weeks, it’s right up there at around 90%. The unanswered question is whether it drops significantly between 6-12 weeks, but that seems less likely, given that natural immunity due to having Covid seems to persist for much longer than was feared, possibly lasting for years.

Parents have had both of theirs now. Knowsley, so not too far from Mull. The health centre was doing 300 per day. Sister (NHS) had her first one earlier , told to expect the second in early April.

As a fairly healthy 56 year old I suspect I'll be staying inside until at least the autumn , unless the big pharmacy chains are allowed to offer it for ££.

advertisement

Back