advertisement

Vaccine recipients....

Dad had his 2nd stabbing yesterday.

He thought it would be cancelled. In the non socially distanced queue at the vax centre, he said it was a 50:50 mix of ppl getting stab 1 and stab 2. Seems like that GP centre is still honouring 2nd dose appointments.

Yup, I took my MIL for her 2nd stabbing yesterday as well, like you a mix of 1st and 2nd. My daughters surgery also had a mix of Pfizer and AZ vaccines in two parallel clinics.

Three of our neiighbours hve been stabbed, another couple have Covid, one in hospital, one back home (both week over 80 years old) so somewhat concerned for them.

Yes I know, I live in an old folk preserve. We moved here in '78 and all the neigbours were already living here.

Aged Parents had their first jab today. Pfizer. Told to expect the second between 3 and 12 weeks.

Wife (NHS) will get hers next week. I'm a few months down the line, I think. As we've both had Covid, and the latest research seems to suggest long-standing immunity, I'm pretty relaxed about that. Mrs P-T would have liked to have her antibodies tested before she has the jab, see what the levels are line >8 months on (she was tested at 5 months, levels still good) as once she's had the jab that data will be lost, but nobody seems to be doing that. I'd quite like an antibody test too, for the same reason.

The boss had a text from our Doc's surgery yesterday

Short version :
We are one of the vac centres
We will contact you. Do not contact us.

Had my flu jab September. Felt 'not right' for a couple of days after. Been fine previous years

INTERESTING TO READ REACTIONS TO JABS. I had every jab going for the first 50 years or so of my life- including Bubonic Plague. I went out of my way to go for everything going. A True Enthusiast.

Never had the slightest reaction until, years after first having my annual flu jab, I got a bad reaction, once. I stopped getting flu jabs.

I started taking, instead, three drops of wild greek oil of oregano in a tablespoon of olive oil each morning- from Oct to March every year. Havent had any colds and hardly a sneeze since then.

Next year I'll be back onto the annual flu jabs.

My local surgery is still showing the same notice they put up in September. It just says they are ready willing and able to go when they can. But it says nothing about the approval of three vaccines, whether they have received any yet..whether they have started yet or where they are up to if they have. There's also a 'Don't Call Us' clause.. which IMHO makes it even more important that they are clear and up to date in their messaging.

It's a bit disappointing really.

I did a bit of digging yesterday and found that they have a little under 5000 registered patients. It seems that 71% of those are in full time work or education...so I suppose it is reasonable to assume that the 71% are all 65 or under. There will be a number of little 'uns below school age. From my researches that is about 4% nationally. So that leaves 25% of the register over 65. Nationally, the 65-69 age group is about 3.4% ..leaving about 21.5%. The 70 -75 group..which includes me.. is also about 4%.. so that leaves about 17.5% ahead of my group..which is around 875 people. Only rough working of course..

Wonder how long it takes to do 875 jabs? Assuming they are available....:rolleyes:

Wonder how long it takes to do 875 jabs? Assuming they are available....:rolleyes:

The Pfizer vaccine comes in lots of 975 doses so some med centres are pulling in wider groups from the area. The one my daughter works at has been doing them since Dec and are already on the 2nd jabs for the top groups. They cover a few care homes as well.

My Dad is in the sticks and no sign of any vaccines for him and he is 89.

West Wales nothing yet and my parents are 92, waiting for the AZ one I believe.
Where I am I am being told 18 months, waiting for a planned factory to produce a Russian vaccine

practices round here are acting in a GP consortium and using 3rd party premises as a vax centre. Opened last Monday and running 6 booyhs for 10 hours per day

INTERESTING TO READ REACTIONS TO JABS. I had every jab going for the first 50 years or so of my life- including Bubonic Plague. I went out of my way to go for everything going. A True Enthusiast.

Never had the slightest reaction until, years after first having my annual flu jab, I got a bad reaction, once. I stopped getting flu jabs.

I started taking, instead, three drops of wild greek oil of oregano in a tablespoon of olive oil each morning- from Oct to March every year. Haven't had any colds and hardly a sneeze since then.

Next year I'll be back onto the annual flu jabs.

I'm in awe of your lifetime of self-induced acupuncture and wonder if that time machine trip back to the plague era ever came off. My one and only flu jab caused almost immediate loss of hearing in my right ear followed by various doctor and hospital visits incl. the most horrendously noisy scan on my head, plus numerous tests. With hindsight, it may well have been the simultaneous (or combined?) jab for pneumonia offered at the time. Still a mystery to all, and obv. a wild frontier(!) in otic medicine.

This Covid winter, despite invitation, I can't see the point of a flu jab anyway due to mask and isolation precautions meaning that even the chance of catching a common cold for senile citizens is about the lowest ever.

I wonder if your wild Greek oil was quite so angry beforehand. I pick wild strawberries in my garden and I can tell they're not happy by their colour. My cultured strawberries are much better behaved, of course :D

I'm in awe of your lifetime of self-induced acupuncture and wonder if that time machine trip back to the plague era ever came off. My one and only flu jab caused almost immediate loss of hearing in my right ear followed by various doctor and hospital visits incl. the most horrendously noisy scan on my head, plus numerous tests. With hindsight, it may well have been the simultaneous (or combined?) jab for pneumonia offered at the time. Still a mystery to all, and obv. a wild frontier(!) in otic medicine.

This Covid winter, despite invitation, I can't see the point of a flu jab anyway due to mask and isolation precautions meaning that even the chance of catching a common cold for senile citizens is about the lowest ever.

I wonder if your wild Greek oil was quite so angry beforehand. I pick wild strawberries in my garden and I can tell they're not happy by their colour. My cultured strawberries are much better behaved, of course :D

PLAGUE: I have never had- nor so far as I am aware- been exposed to it. My previous adherance to obtaining every vaccine going was simply part of a disposition to err on the side of prevention and caution.

Your flu jab experience is sobering. I have no expertise in this area. I am at a loss to begin to try to explain it.

My own predelection is to be sceptical, and accept scientific latest findings and practices AFTER first trying tried and true natural remedies- pref those that have been around for centuries.

I regularly inform my Nigerian G.P. (an excellent practitioner) of what remedies I have already tried- on the rare and few occassions I consult him. He is bound by N.H.S. contract rules.

Nevertheless, at age 81 (now) he regularly in past has remarked on my good health. I reject all medication or interventions unless beyond rejection and, in my view absolutely necessary.

Greek Wild Oregano has been used for centuries, apparently, and this wild oil has been scientifically proven to be 'useless' with regard to flu. I have QUITE UNSCIENTIFICALLY 'proved' otherwise.

My exit from using it in future is entirely economic. The cost has gone through the roof. Flu vaccine is still (at present) free on N.H.S.

At age 81 I have to watch my pennies, in order to be able to continue to contribute sufficiently to charities.

It matters.. .. because this excellent G.P. has been criticised- to my knowledge- by others, including one Nigerian patient, for following N.H.S. guidelines for G.P.s.

I find myself having to support him.

I am prepared to be criticised for this. I am not prepared to stop defending him, so long as, in my opinion, he is being unfairly picked on.

Your question suggests that you may be unaware of the full extent or effects of racism in the U.K.

Nevertheless, at age 81 (now) he regularly in past has remarked on my good health.

You're one ahead of me. I thought I was healthy when I was 79 but either the age transition or Covid frustrations and concern have changed that. Also it's the dreaded dark days of winter's nadir and my amplification is buggered, so no vinyl and no speakers. Officially a pissed-off octogenarian currently !:(

Very sad to hear this, Mike. I can only hope you get to a better place very soon.

Amplification may be the least of your problems. Have you considered consulting pfm's DIY helpers?

My local surgery is still showing the same notice they put up in September. It just says they are ready willing and able to go when they can. But it says nothing about the approval of three vaccines, whether they have received any yet..whether they have started yet or where they are up to if they have. There's also a 'Don't Call Us' clause.. which IMHO makes it even more important that they are clear and up to date in their messaging.

It's a bit disappointing really.

I did a bit of digging yesterday and found that they have a little under 5000 registered patients. It seems that 71% of those are in full time work or education...so I suppose it is reasonable to assume that the 71% are all 65 or under. There will be a number of little 'uns below school age. From my researches that is about 4% nationally. So that leaves 25% of the register over 65. Nationally, the 65-69 age group is about 3.4% ..leaving about 21.5%. The 70 -75 group..which includes me.. is also about 4%.. so that leaves about 17.5% ahead of my group..which is around 875 people. Only rough working of course..

You're assuming that you'll be offered a vaccination at your surgery, Mull. That may not be the case. You may get called to a vaccination centre, or to a venue run by several local GP surgeries. It's a very fluid situation; patience and stoicism required, as you await the letter/call/text.

Your question suggests that you may be unaware of the full extent or effects of racism in the U.K.

let me assure you I am.

In fact I was so surprised at you mentioning heritage, I asked my best mate and colleague who is from Ghana. He said if there was no reason (and we still don't see a reason) to single someone out by their heritage then your post is racist.

We both sit on the same BAME committee at our institution.

You're assuming that you'll be offered a vaccination at your surgery, Mull. That may not be the case

Indeed, my Dad had his vax appointments made by the team at the GP, but he had to go to a vax centre run by a consortium of GPS from their borough

amplification is buggered, so no vinyl and no speakers. Officially a pissed-off octogenarian currently !:(

awful news. Mine too, but luckily I had a backup. My lovely amp has been repaired, but is still at the repairers for lockdown reasons. We won't post as it weighs 50kg and is a bit delicate.

advertisement

Back