advertisement

Vaccine recipients....

I heard a Prof on R4 the other day, suggested lay off alcohol for 24 hours post jab then fine to drink

What happens if you drink within the two weeks?

I think alcohol just inhibits your body’s ability to create antibodies to some degree. Given it was flagged as a thing on the diabetes site (linked upthread) I followed the guidance. Easy enough to take two weeks out.

How much notice do they give you before getting the jab? A text the week before or is it longer or shorter.

How much notice do they give you before getting the jab? A text the week before or is it longer or shorter.

I got a phone call. I could have had an appointment that day, but chose to go first thing the following day to avoid the queues.

Booked online via Swift Queue - appt 48 hours later 2.5 miles from where I live. Old Wickes store in Mansfield. I asked the staff if they were fed up of diy jokes:(:rolleyes:

I heard a Prof on R4 the other day, suggested lay off alcohol for 24 hours post jab then fine to drink

There appears to be a number of opinions on this. Some say two weeks and a Canadian Doctor said it would not make any real difference. For the record I left it 24 hours after but at least five days previous (not by design particularly as I got booked and jabbed the next day)

I'm 34 with underlying health conditions and have just received my letter inviting me to a covid jab at a local community centre on 3rd March. I presume it will be the A-Z one due to the cold storage requirements of the Pfizer and am therefore a bit concerned about the "nausea" side effect commonly reported with A-Z as I have a fear of vomiting (it sounds silly but my cerebral palsy makes what is a natural bodily function for most a very violent and potentially dangerous one, to such an extent that I do everything I can to avoid it). For those who experienced nausea with the A-Z jab, was it just a feeling of nausea or did it actually cause you to vomit? (I'd be grateful if you could leave out the gory details please!)

Yes, I have a small stock of Domperidone for such eventualities. Not sure if the stuff actually works but it certainly has a positive placebo effect so I'm glad I have it on hand.

A bit more background info: I've had severe GERD since around 2011, the onset of which was very sudden (I blame it on being told by my GP to stop a course of antibiotics halfway through for a suspected bacterial kidney/urine infection after tests came back negative, because my GERD symptoms appeared immediately after that). I struggled for the first year or so after that, feeling as if everything I ate was regurgitating, and was constantly on edge because of this, hence being prescribed antiemetics. After a couple of years my symptoms stabilised and became manageable, especially through the day, but my sleep is still often disrupted by coughing fits (I sleep on a 45 degree incline, haven't slept flat for 10 years now).

I started receiving annual flu vaccines after the swine flu pandemic of 2009(?), and the first few I received really knocked me for six for 24-48hrs with severe lethargy, shivers, visible shaking and intense feeling of nausea, but more recent flu jabs have had far less side effects on me. In fact, the one I received in December 2020 did nothing more than leave me with a sore arm and feeling a bit lethargic for the rest of the day, the next day I was back to normal. I don't know what this reveals about the potency of the flu jabs, or my body's seemingly lessening reactions to them...

On the balance of the replies here it seems I'm most likely getting worked up about nothing, but I think I'll still contact my GP and ask if it's at all possible to receive the Pfizer jab instead of the A-Z one.

Jabbed with A-Z at local community centre at 8.45am this morning. Very well organised, one way system with social distancing and temperature checks, nothing like the blasé shit show of a Flu vaccine clinic I visited in early December that acted as if Covid didn't exist!

The needle was in my arm for what seemed like an eternity (much longer than flu jab), but the jabber said he wanted to ensure he didn't draw any back out when removing the needle. It was painless, just difficult to keep my arm still and relaxed (my cerebral palsy causes involuntary muscle spasms).

No side effects as of yet, but am anticipating them to start kicking in this evening. If you don't see me posting on the forum over the next few days then you'll know why...

Old Wickes store in Mansfield. I asked the staff if they were fed up WITH diy jokes:(:rolleyes:

Shortly after the first lockdown started, there were reports of people flocking to DIY sores, which remained open. My neighbour telephoned our Norwich B & Q store asking how long the queues were as he didn't have much time to waste. After waiting a while for the lad to investigate, he replied that he thought the Q was about the same length as the B !

Oh no, now I'm worrying about premature needle withdrawal! on top of early alcohol intake syndrome

Alcohol related premature withdrawal avoids a pregnant pause later.:D

What happens if you drink within the two weeks?

I told a pal it was 28 days abstention just to wind him up. When he went for his (Pfizer) he asked, ‘can I have a beer when I get home?’
Answer, ‘of course you can.’
As mentioned above, alcohol like any other poison might impair an ability to build an immunity but isn’t prohibited.

advertisement

Back