advertisement

UV Window Treatment advice please

Again, what is the obsession with UV?

I used to work in a factory making (coating) films for shop windows, the difference is minor in terms of preventing fading.
Clean soft glass absorbs around 30% of UVA/visible. even only slightly grubby glass absords around 50%.

yes my parents did that with their 5k each sofas - recovering costed more than new

I did that in the early 80s, fabric cost was horrific.

I was therefore a bit dubious about having this one refurbed but had a few trips round the usual suppliers and found nothing i wanted.

Had a close look at one of this company's jobs and it looked good so i've booked in a big four seater with only bottom cushions for under £2k.

It's not too far away so transport is ok; had a good look at the fabrics plus we'll be sent a sample pre cut for final approval so that aspect should be fine.

If all goes well i'll start saving to do the conservatory sofa with a UV resistant outdoor fabric.

Again, what is the obsession with UV?

I used to work in a factory making (coating) films for shop windows, the difference is minor in terms of preventing fading.
Clean soft glass absorbs around 30% of UVA/visible. even only slightly grubby glass absords around 50%.
In my case the obsession with UV is not knowing what I don’t know.
Seeing all these speciality films leads me to assume that they are a viable option hence the original query.
I am not doubting your opinion at all however if you had pointed out your experience and the source of your knowledge it would have carried significant weight.

One of our sofas is good and solid so we've booked in a recover / reupholster.

Very wide choice of fabrics, went with some people called Plumbs iirc.
Plumbs operate nationally. We got a quote for doing our sofas. Found a local firm who did it for half Plumbs' price.

We have had 3M film on the windows and doors of our extension for over 10 years and it still looks fine, anyone commenting thinks the windows are tinted. They reduce glare and temperature pretty effectively but they won’t stop fading. Better to choose low colour furnishings and wood finishes that limit the effect.

advertisement

Back