advertisement

Using a Mac Mini as a digital source

Yeh but the dbpower amp accuracy list is based on people ripping discs. You might have been asleep and missed the rather large confounding variable in that whole scheme. THERE'S NO WAY OF REMOVING THE CD BEING RIPPED FROM THE EQUATION. You could have just as easily come to the conclusion that PLEXTOR - CD-R PX-230A users take more care of their cd's than anyone else, both are equally valid assertions from the presented data.

That aside I very much doubt that the Aurilati sounds any different at all than my mac into my young via USB. Maybe there are PC configurations out there that aren't up to the task with the majority of dacs, frankly i'm not concerned about cars with square wheels.

Define 'sound better'...

Also, if this 'noise' can somehow corrupt the resultant analogue signal, why does it not make the computer crash when this 'noise' corrupts the workings of the O/S?

Or are we talking some kind of 'magic', discriminating noise?

'Noise' corrupting analogue signals is axiomatic.

Processors and buses don't amplify voltage. Also, no-one cares about timing irregularities in bus transfer: there's a fundamental difference between the way we perceive pixel draw rates and experience music. Noise and jitter matters for audio; much less for spreadsheets.

'Noise' corrupting analogue signals is axiomatic.

Processors and buses don't amplify voltage. Also, no-one cares about timing irregularities in bus transfer: there's a fundamental difference between the way we perceive pixel draw rates and experience music. Noise and jitter matters for audio; much less for spreadsheets.

Only when in the analogue domain...

Oh, what does jitter sound like again?

Round and round we go...

Any iPad, iPod, PC, TV, CD, what-have-you is “up to the job” of safely delivering bits from A to B. Nothing to do with why they sound/perform differently.

How can you have formed so strong an opinion about the Auraliti without having heard it? You doubt it sounds any different to a Mac, without any evidence at all.

Seems there's a lot of the worst kind of prejudice in this thread: people asserting strong claims without any experience at all: sq225917 at least has had a go . . . others are content to pontificate bravely on the basis of nothing.

Any iPad, iPod, PC, TV, CD, what-have-you is “up to the job” of safely delivering bits from A to B. Nothing to do with why they sound/perform differently.

How can you have formed so strong an opinion about the Auraliti without having heard it? You doubt it sounds any different to a Mac, without any evidence at all.

Seems there's a lot of the worst kind of prejudice in this thread: people asserting strong claims without any experience at all: sq225917 at least has had a go . . . others are content to pontificate bravely on the basis of nothing.
You're getting muddled now. It's sq225917 who cast doubts on the Auraliti.

Can't speak for anyone else in the thread, but I'm speaking from building PCs for people for nearly 10 years now... all of them played music with no extra effort at all....

Item, I've plugged enough cd players, transports, and pc's into the Young to know it just doesn't give a f_ck. The faults with the Young lie elsewhere, namely it's internal PS choices and price point single chip implementation.

Item, I've plugged enough cd players, transports, and pc's into the Young to know it just doesn't give a f_ck. The faults with the Young lie elsewhere, namely it's internal PS choices and price point single chip implementation.

For that DAC, in that system, I've no grounds to doubt your listening impressions. I'm lucky to be able to play with a lot of converters and transports in a lot of systems, and that's not been my experience. YMEV.

Absolutely - you find yourself reluctantly on the same page again: signal noise, power rail and ground plane pollution, jitter - many would add EM/RF contaminants - all straightforward, known, measurable stuff that makes transports behave differently. No obfuscation. Just engineering problems and engineered solutions. Without recourse to sonddek's charming voodoo elves.

And - duh - obviously DACs handle crud differently. But there's no escape from the garbage in, garbage out maxim: the problems created by a transport are too large for any DAC to just make go away: this from wide experience. Anything else is manufacturer hype. I'm talking about tackling the problem at source, not allowing it to roam the system and trust in half-assed damage limitation.

The only person to have done any research on the subject is Elias Gwinn of Benchmark which you dismiss it as manufacturer hype. You have published no research at all and yet we are supposed to accept what you say without question. Incredible.

I feel sure John Westlake has done a little research on it, as has every designer every time they design a new dac/ I'm discounting the muppetry who just lightly mod evaluation boards.

That's a T-shirt right there!

Ha ha, yes it is. That didn't come out right, mine's a large. Seriously though it would be nice to see something a bit more rigorous. Make it fun, stick it on You Tube. Not a Mac Mini ot iPad but something like this

Ha ha, yes it is. That didn't come out right, mine's a large. Seriously though it would be nice to see something a bit more rigorous. Make it fun, stick it on You Tube. Not a Mac Mini ot iPad but something like this

That was fun. I saw the clip about a year ago: since then, only you and a few hundred others have. Shame. We're not as deaf to the kind of requests you're making as larger manufacturers. We're working on something . . .

advertisement

Back