advertisement

Using a Beresford Caiman with a Humax HDR

hughjampton

pfm Member
I'm looking at trying out a cheap DAC to connect my Macbook and also the Sony Bravia or the Foxsat HDR too. So I am looking at a Beresford Caiman.

Stan Beresford says I should check in the TV and Freesat menu to see if they support PCM audio. As some sets only support HD and Dolby 5.1 audio.

There's nothing in the menus, and searching online indicates that they do support it but brings up other problems. Including difficulties using the optical out on the Humax if you don't have a DD 5.1 decoder in the DAC.

So does anyone use a Caiman with either a Bravia or Foxsat, and what digital out do they use?

You usually have the choice of audio in the menu settings of most av products,usually all 2-channel defaults to PCM.
The Humax is an excellent product and i know people who use one purely as a digital tuner!!!!

Thanks. I've tried Humax support and they say they will get back to me.

It seems that some HD channels use it for audio description. So if you are watching HD you can't turn that off if you are using the optical out. But I really want to hear from someone using this combination. My Sony Bravia doesn't appear to have any digital out at all.

Will you report back on this, please. I have the Humax and a Caiman and never thought they could be used together.
Thanks
Mick

Not sure whether it helps you but I have a Bravia LCD TV and use a Caiman but I feed my Caiman from the Optic out from my Sky + HD box and have no problems at all.
Cheers,
Dave.

I've got a foxhdr thingywhatsit, that i can test on my cyrus dac if you wish. It works great on my cyrus AV8.

My hdr has audio outputs that are either stereo or multichannel so i would guess pcm would be fine. The problem is that the transmissions can be dolby digital and so that would be down sampled to stereo pcm. I can check this if you want.

Thanks Mudlark, It you could check I'd be grateful.

I think that seems to be the issue, but I'm not sure what you mean about stereo or multichannel outputs. I've got one digital output. Or do you mean in the menu? if so where in the menu is that?

settings>preferences>audio>digital audio output

I've checked the manual Page 49 and it shows a table which shows stereo outputs pcm all the time, and for multichannel mpeg sends out pcm and DD or DD+ puts out DD.

mike

PS I've now checked the newtricks broadcast tonight. On standard signal both audio settings can be locked onto my DACX but with the HD transmission stereo shows a 48 kwhatsits and with multichannel "non compatible audio signal" or whatever.

Strangely the HD signal appears as DD on the AV8 occasionally and DD +PL11 on other occasions.

Not sure whether it helps you but I have a Bravia LCD TV and use a Caiman but I feed my Caiman from the Optic out from my Sky + HD box and have no problems at all.
Cheers,
Dave.

Thanks that's encouraging as long as the Sky + is similar. I take it you have no digital out on the Bravia. I can't find one on mine.

Thanks that's encouraging as long as the Sky + is similar. I take it you have no digital out on the Bravia. I can't find one on mine.

I've looked at all the (in and) out connections and in the Operating Instruction booklet that came with the TV and can't find any indication of any digital out.

Thanks chaps.

I'll just have to wait for the answer from Humax unless someone who does use this combo, or just a Foxsat HDR into a DAC turns up. I've spent all day trying to get this info and am totally fed up with all this technology now.

GB 38 of the foxsat HDR manual shows the settings which indicates to me that the device will output stereo pcm unless you turn the dolby digital option on when it will output DD when DD is broadcast and pcm at other times. But I am only guessing.....

Yes that's how I read it too. I was thinking the same when I saw in the menu that Dolby can be switched off. It doesn't actually say anything about PCM or stereo, but I assume if DD is turned off then it will revert to stereo which is PCM. I think I might go ahead and buy the Caiman tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

If anyone who does use a Foxsat into a DAC wants to confirm that though, please do.

advertisement

Back