advertisement

Useful little connector

They are excellent if pricey and come in many variations. They are I think the only connector allowed for an inaccessible splice in modern house wiring - the chocolate block being out of favour, and the scotchlock presumably didn't grease the right palms to be certified

I bought a ten pack of 5 ways for a fiver so 50p each so £1 per amp which was definitely worth it to me for the convenience.

Screwfix do quite a selection of these and packs of assorted blocks.
I've used them for a couple of years and find them very quick & easy to use.
I prefer the ones which lock with the lever as the simple push-in ones are single use and if you get the wire length wrong or a bad fit, you have to start again. I've never had any problems with the lever type fittings. I prefer them to choc boxes.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not seen them, where I am terminal block is a major improvement on two wires twisted together with some tape around, which is what contractors usually do

I’ve sometimes found those scotchblocks to be a bit flaky - maybe I wasn’t doing it right

Got a load of various Wago connectors in the work van, use them regularly and rate them highly. The locking lever type are excellent and put out a fair old grip!

Forgive my stupidity - these appear to be one block per connection, so that (e.g.) a 3 way block would allow 1 in, and two out (etc) ?

As opposed to a chocolate block where each connection is as many as you can cram each side?

BugBear

Yes that’s correct but it gives you the option of disconnecting as many or as few as you might want. I’ve used them on my hackernaps where I have a front end traffo, an output traffo and a vellemen speaker board. I can check each circuit separately and then when I’m happy connect them all up.

I found them online, overseas delivery, so presumably China.
Strange that they are not sold in Malaysia as our electrical wiring standards are based on the UK.

Been using these for a good few years now, utterly indespensible. Working on light fittings at the top of a ladder - now screwdriver free, just a pair of wire stripper/cutters and job done in no time, non of those tiny flippin screws to lose / drop to the floor.
They have just brought out a 6mm sq version for high loadings.
Their junction boxes are flippin good as well, and, if you have to use / replace those old 4 way bakalite boxes - these are a lifetime replacement and can be sealed permanently, where the screw (bakelite) version is required to have periodic maintainance to check correct tightness of screws.
If you check their website, you will find din rail versions which could prove very useful for some projects.
Beware - there are a few knock off's around, blatant copies, claiming all sorts of amperage. Dont go there - stick with Wago.

advertisement

Back