advertisement

Use RCM

I think those of us who've been using wet vac-type RCMs for a while have evolved a very similar technique. I do more or less the same as you chaps. By leaving the record on the vacuum cyle for several rotations I do find it's pretty dry. I'll sit it on a cup for a couple of minutes, just to be on the safe side, or maybe just pop it on the turntable & play it so I can hear what a spiffing job I've done.

Maybe it's me but I cannot understand the rationality of cleaning a record then leaving it to collect airborne dust etc. This especially as drying/ evaporation would, i.m.o., be less effective in a vertical position and also take some time, even in a warm atmosphere.

@Mike Reed , maybe I'm just misunderstanding you. You say on one hand that the vacuum process won't remove all of the liquid and then go on to say that you can't see the rational in leaving the record to air dry! Operator error is what you said, or at least what you agreed with!

This is the stand that I use.

Dry

@Mike Reed , maybe I'm just misunderstanding you. ...
I think (and I could be wrong of course) that @Mike Reed was referring to the air drying method after an ultrasonic bath? That's how I read his comment, although I can see how it might be read both ways. This certainly would explain the confusion, because as far as I can tell, you both agree on things lol

I use a very similar method to those stated with my Vacuum RCM. A descent squirt of fluid (alcohol (20%), deionised water(80%) and a splash of ilfotol) I lightly scrub the fluid across the record while it's turning. I then leave it to settle into the grooves for a few minutes before vacuuming the fluid off - about 10 revolutions of vacuum. I then do a rinse cycle (I'm not even sure if it's necessary, but I've gotten into the habit now) - this is just deionised water and ilfotol. A quirt, scrub then vacuum (about 5-6 revolutions this time.) Then I'll leave the record on the platter for a few minutes to fully dry/evaporate. I could probably tweak the whole process to make it more efficient, but it works, so...if it ain't broke! lol

I think (and I could be wrong of course) that @Mike Reed was referring to the air drying method after an ultrasonic bath? That's how I read his comment, although I can see how it might be read both ways. This certainly would explain the confusion, because as far as I can tell, you both agree on things lol

I use a very similar method to those stated with my Vacuum RCM. A descent squirt of fluid (alcohol (20%), deionised water(80%) and a splash of ilfotol) I lightly scrub the fluid across the record with it's turning. I then leave it to settle into the grooves for a few minutes before vacuuming the fluid off - about 10 revolutions of vacuum. I then do a rinse cycle (I'm not even sure if it's necessary, but I've gotten into the habit now) - this is just deionised water and ilfotol. A quirt, scrub then vacuum (about 5-6 revolutions this time.) Then I'll leave the record on the platter for a few minutes to fully dry/evaporate. I could probably tweak the whole process to make it more efficient, but it works, so...if it ain't broke! lol

You may be right & if that is the case, then sorry for the misunderstanding, but in any case, as you say, if it works, it ain't broke!

maybe just pop it on the turntable & play it so I can hear what a spiffing job I've done.

Wonder why I've never thought of patting myself on the back in that way. Must be because my RCM is on the landing upstairs (next to office and pfm intermissions) and my kit is downstairs. Besides, I could never multi-task, being a bloke.

, maybe I'm just misunderstanding you. You say on one hand that the vacuum process won't remove all of the liquid and then go on to say that you can't see the rationale in leaving the record to air dry! Operator error is what you said, or at least what you agreed with!

I must be slipping in my syntax, Wylton, so sorry about the ambiguity. Yes, I was referring to drying as a separate process, as would be the situation with (most?) ultrasonic cleaners. However, I do reiterate that a vacuum cannot actually dry a record; it's an extractor, not a drier; it simply removes 99 ++++% of the fluid.

Yes (as above) on both counts.

about 10 revolutions of vacuum. I then do a rinse cycle (I'm not even sure if it's necessary, but I've gotten into the habit now) - this is just deionised water.

Heck! That's a lot of rev's to extract. I never exceed 2 in this process. Have never come across this or thought about it, so maybe it's a consequence of the power of each RCM's vacuum. Maybe my 16.5 is relatively powerful ? No idea, but 3 rev's on mine and it's complaining of a dry throat.;)

I think all those wet-vac. RCM operators follow a similar procedure. I can't see the point in rinsing (with IPA 1:5 approx. mix), but hey ho, no downsides. Maybe I do use the brush (gentle scrub) more than necessary (before AND after the soak, e.g.) but these are all small variations on a similar theme and, I s'pose, the only satisfactory process. The only pita of my RCM is finding a tool (brush, whatever) to properly clean out the translucent effluent pipe dangling with its clip. Gosh but that really gets grotty !

When I got my RCM 20 years ago, supplied with its half-litre of ready mix (no idea what, though) I used the fluid very sparingly as there were no instructions about application. For a few years, I was quite disappointed with the results, so didn't use it much but when I started on my DIY IPA mix, was a bit more generous, and soon learnt that you really do need to load the record. Over the next three or four years I cleaned both existing and lots of incoming LPs. Don't now; just occasional re-clean if I think a record warrants it.

I must be slipping in my syntax, Wylton, so sorry about the ambiguity. Yes, I was referring to drying as a separate process, as would be the situation with (most?) ultrasonic cleaners. However, I do reiterate that a vacuum cannot actually dry a record; it's an extractor, not a drier; it simply removes 99 ++++% of the fluid.

Cool, sounds like we're in 100% agreement about the 99%!

Thought I would report back having cleaned 10 or so records over the weekend with my new Project VCE: there really is a marked improvement to the realism and dynamics of the music plus a big reduction in the rice crispies even on new records. It has renewed my enthusiasm for my RP6 which given the earlier frustrations I was considering selling. Thanks again to Suffolk Tony and for all contributors.

Heck! That's a lot of rev's to extract. I never exceed 2 in this process. Have never come across this or thought about it, so maybe it's a consequence of the power of each RCM's vacuum. Maybe my 16.5 is relatively powerful ? No idea, but 3 rev's on mine and it's complaining of a dry throat.;)
Ha! Indeed. I meant 10 seconds, which would be 5 revolutions. Still more than most perhaps, but I wanted to be sure that I got everything from the grooves that I can. I found that (sometimes) one or even two revolutions wasn’t quite extracting all that it could.

Ha! Indeed. I meant 10 seconds, which would be 5 revolutions. Still more than most perhaps, but I wanted to be sure that I got everything from the grooves that I can. I found that (sometimes) one or even two revolutions wasn’t quite extracting all that it could.

Again, it could be the difference in the power of the vac., but if I go more that 3 rev's it becomes counter-effective; actually seems to start 'dragging', despite unlikelihood. Could introduce static maybe? 1 rev. is clearly not enough but the record looks complete after 2, with final evaporation shortly after (in summer!).

Again, it could be the difference in the power of the vac., but if I go more that 3 rev's it becomes counter-effective; actually seems to start 'dragging', despite unlikelihood. Could introduce static maybe? 1 rev. is clearly not enough but the record looks complete after 2, with final evaporation shortly after (in summer!).
I did worry about creating static at first, but it doesn’t seem to have that affect. (That’s part of the reason I do a rinse cycle) It’s a project VC-e, so you could be right in that other RCMs might need a different approach.

(That’s part of the reason I do a rinse cycle)

Purely out of curiosity, as I don't do a rinse cycle, do you vac. for approx. 5 rev's for each of the two applications, or vary this a bit? I know this sounds like a daft question, but I would've thought that vac. 'overkill' on the first app. would be a bit pointless as you're going to saturate the record again.

I use a DIY IPA mix, which is around 75% to 80% water and cannot understand the need for a separate rinse. However, I have no experience of using other types of fluid. Another factor is that the IPA mix evaporates quickly whilst a pure water rinse would not.

…do you vac. for approx. 5 rev's for each of the two applications…
The rinse cycle I only do two - three revs and leave it to air dry for a couple of minutes.
It’s a system that I’ve evolved into using, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be tweaked to get the same result. It seems to work pretty well. I have tried leaving out the rinse cycle and vac-ing less on the first cycle, but the results were less ‘perfect’ - could just be a bit of OCD of course ;)

I think those of us who've been using wet vac-type RCMs for a while have evolved a very similar technique. I do more or less the same as you chaps. By leaving the record on the vacuum cyle for several rotations I do find it's pretty dry. I'll sit it on a cup for a couple of minutes, just to be on the safe side, or maybe just pop it on the turntable & play it so I can hear what a spiffing job I've done.

On my old NG, three rotations is the magic number. The record will be ready to slap onto a turntable, unless I've spilled some fluid.

advertisement

Back