advertisement

'Use contactless' they said

garyi

leave blank
I decided to join the revolution and use my contactless card on the london underground.

I arrived at waterloo and joined the london underground. I took the bakerloo to kilburn where I exited the station. I returned later to kilburn and reversed the journey back to waterloo

At each step I tapped in and out as instructed, its pretty bloody obvious because I wasn't going to jump over the barriers.

I have been charged 13.50 for the journey. The payment has come from the card I used and registered with TFL, however my account says I have never made a journey with that card.

I tried calling them and after 10 minutes navigating their nonsense it just told me that due to unforseen circumstances they couldn't take my call and hung up.

Can anyone light the way on why I was charged circa 11.50 more for this journey?

so a return from Kilburn to waterloo is normally £2.00? Its the Jubilee line to Kilburn, and a one day travel card is listed at £13.10. 2 singles (off peak) would be 4.80

Last edited:
I am trying to work out just how I could have fooled the system, I understand the concept of tapping in and out but its just something you have to do otherwise the barrier does not open. It looks like I have been charged for an incomplete journey in other words I did not tap in or out somewhere.

Its not something I can trust which is a real shame as I really like not carrying a paper ticket.

I've used contactless in London lots and not had the issue so it's usually reliable. Maybe it just hates you?

Card clash from more than one contactless card in your wallet? i.e. so you checked in with one and out with the other and the unended transaction gets charged at the highest fare.

I've had this with an Oyster card a time or two. If the tapping out doesn't register, for any reason (perhaps you inadvertently tailgated the person in front, for example) it defaults to the standard daily max. My experience was that it was pretty straightforward to sort it out. I think I did it via the TFL app.

Card clash from more than one contactless card in your wallet? i.e. so you checked in with one and out with the other and the unended transaction gets charged at the highest fare.

Hi Matthew, I actually used my iphone and I got one of those wadgy wallets that prevents all that. I'll give it another go. So just to confirm the 'tapping in and out' on the website is refering to simply going through the usual gates on the under ground? I am not missing something?

get in touch with them.

They hung up on him.

Were you listening to Gary Dude's story, Rock? You have no frame of reference here. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

We're talking about unchecked aggression here.

Joe

Hi Matthew, I actually used my iphone and I got one of those wadgy wallets that prevents all that. I'll give it another go. So just to confirm the 'tapping in and out' on the website is refering to simply going through the usual gates on the under ground? I am not missing something?

Hmm, damn I thought my theory was a winner. I would check statements for other contactless cards though and I have a feeling that since the pinless low value thing came in any contactless card now works without being registered.

I've had this with an Oyster card a time or two. If the tapping out doesn't register, for any reason (perhaps you inadvertently tailgated the person in front, for example) it defaults to the standard daily max. My experience was that it was pretty straightforward to sort it out. I think I did it via the TFL app.

Indeed but the app has not registered any use on the card I used to pay even though payment has been taken from the card, I have obviously ballsed it up somewhere. I'll get it sorted because it does feel like the future not holding them damned orange pieces of card than never work!

Isn’t it amazing how with all this whizzy tech that there’s so little user feedback? Most ZX Spectrum software used to be written with a PLEASE WAIT... message when you initiated something. Now Windows and iOS and TfL have removed ‘immediate feedback to user’. Bewildering.

Isn’t it amazing how with all this whizzy tech that there’s so little user feedback? Most ZX Spectrum software used to be written with a PLEASE WAIT... message when you initiated something. Now Windows and iOS and TfL have removed ‘immediate feedback to user’. Bewildering.

I find the feedback given by phone and by the tube gates opening sufficient

I can't say I've had a problem on the tube...the DLR though is another matter.

me neither, we are on and off the tube/bus/trains never had a problem. The daily fare cap works well as well. Been using my phone ever since contact less was introduced.

I so rely on contact less these days, that I have only used an ATM once since last summer.

They hung up on him.

Were you listening to Gary Dude's story, Rock? You have no frame of reference here. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

We're talking about unchecked aggression here.

Joe
maybe...so what is your answer to why he says he was charged an extra £11.50? It's just the maths I don't get, it simply doesn't add up unless I am being thick. See post 10. And an auto phone htold him his call couldn't be made so...you try again no? Unless you are to solve it for him?
As to unchecked aggression, erm? Auto phone lines don't do aggression, and lots of room for user error in the story. The Bakerloo doesn't go to Kilburn, only Kilburn Park for a start...see if you ask for a detective, it's useful to get the facts straight. A tad pedantic possibly but it can't be rocket science to sort out.

advertisement

Back