advertisement

USB output from HTPC using UBUNTU

337alant

Negatively Biased
Hi
Does anyone know if it is possible to use a USB output using Ubuntu.
Ive just tried it into my M2Tech Young Dac but there is no output cand see a driver on M2Tech site for Linux

Alan

I don't think I got the Young working under Ubuntu. I wasn't that bothered - it sounded fine using the digital output of the M-Audio soundcard I had.

Getting bit-perfect on Ubuntu is a pain, too. I ended up using MPD, which is great if you're into self-flagellation.

Ubuntu is working fine with XBMC and the Optical output sounds excellent as good as my CDP, just wondered if it could be better with the USB cant see why it should though TBH?

I didnt realy want to install Win7 as Linux boots in less than 20 seconds and closes instantly, but I may try it on a seperate hard drive just to see if there is any improvment?

Alan

Search for openelec... It's xbmc in a Linux container that's very trimmed down, works very very well... Better than xbmc on ububtu.
I have moved over to xbmc on Windows 7 though, so I can use wasapi and some room correction software that I am experimenting with. :)

Search for openelec... It's xbmc in a Linux container that's very trimmed down, works very very well... Better than xbmc on ububtu.
I have moved over to xbmc on Windows 7 though, so I can use wasapi and some room correction software that I am experimenting with. :)

Hi Sam I tried Open elec but couldnt get my NAS drive working properly and it kept locking up when I did, plus it wiped my Ubuntu so I couldnt access the internet or do anything else so I found it a bit restrictive.
I may try a Win7 install on a seperate SS drive as I would also like to try JRiver as well
How do you check if you have bit perfect output?

Alan

Ubuntu is working fine with XBMC and the Optical output sounds excellent as good as my CDP, just wondered if it could be better with the USB cant see why it should though TBH?

I didnt realy want to install Win7 as Linux boots in less than 20 seconds and closes instantly, but I may try it on a seperate hard drive just to see if there is any improvment?

Alan

I have a sound card with digital out and the rega sounds better through usb even though the rega isn't async.

Hi Sam I tried Open elec but couldnt get my NAS drive working properly and it kept locking up when I did, plus it wiped my Ubuntu so I couldnt access the internet or do anything else so I found it a bit restrictive.
I may try a Win7 install on a seperate SS drive as I would also like to try JRiver as well
How do you check if you have bit perfect output?

Alan

My dac (Mdac) has a bitperfect test, couple of files (different bitrates) you can play to check that your playback chain is working bitperfect.

You can get plugins for openelec/xbmc that will give you a browser etc.. No great loss though, XBMC works well enough within Ubuntu.

Sam

advertisement

Back