advertisement

USB Cable Poll: Redux

What's your experience/opinion of USB cables for audio?

• I auditioned multiple USB cables and found they differed

Votes: 32 21.5%
  • I auditioned multiple USB cables and found them identical

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I haven't auditioned USB cables and believe they won't differ

Votes: 63 42.3%
  • I haven't auditioned USB cables but suspect they will differ

Votes: 20 13.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ItemAudio

Trade: Item Audio
Following some unpleasantness that got the previous thread locked on libel grounds (let's play nicely, shall we children?) here's the new USB poll prefaced by data from the last one.

I can't stop posters throwing flame spanners in the works, but the aim of the game here is solely to canvas opinion - not to evangelise a particular viewpoint.

By all means analyse what the results say about opinion, but let's not re-enact ancient conflicts about truth, faith, science and the meaning of life. Speak with your vote.

Here are the results from the 2013 polll:
A: Tried, differed: 22%
B: Tried, didnt differ: 31%
C: Not tried: believe won't differ: 39.5%
D: Not tried: suspect will differ: 7.5%

Here's some takeaways from the last poll:

1. Roughly half those who voted haven't actually tried a variety of USB cables.
2. In advance of audition, expectation bias is very strongly in favour of 'no difference'.
3. Auditioning USB cables shifts opinion very markedly toward the viewpoint that they do differ.
4. Among PFM members in 2013, the majority view of those who have auditioned them is that USB cables don't matter - by a ratio of roughly one third to two thirds.

That's totally D.

No, it isn't.

"I believe they won't differ" suggests I have a firm view that they will not differ.
"I suspect they will differ" suggests that I have a firm view that they will.

I don't have a preference either way yet. I'm open to reaching either conclusion once I've listened to them.

I suspect the use of "believe" and "suspect" reflects the poller's belief.

C) I haven't auditioned USB cables and believe they won't differ
D) I haven't auditioned USB cables but suspect they will differ

No, it isn't.

"I believe they won't differ" suggests I have a firm view that they will not differ.
"I suspect they will differ" suggests that I have a firm view that they will.

I don't have a preference either way yet. I'm open to reaching either conclusion once I've listened to them.

Are you aware that your first paragraph is meaningless?

'Belief' has many shades of meaning: perhaps something less ambiguous would have been better. Here it is intended as a synonym of 'opinion'.

The rationale for using 'believe' and the less committed 'suspect' is that the majority of 'not differing' opinion is more strongly entrenched than the 'expecting to differ' viewpoint. Which of itself is interesting.

You're now defining yourself as E, though: commendably expectation free. Don't know if I can add an extra poll option once running, but as I said, that option should be there . . .

The rationale for using 'believe' and the less committed 'suspect' is that the majority of 'not differing' opinion is more strongly entrenched than the 'expecting to differ' viewpoint. Which of itself is interesting.
As I read it, "suspect" already has hints of evidence whereas "belief" has nothing to support its view

but the difference you suggest (entrenchment) is also misplaced in a poll, imo.

You illustrate what I meant about the variability of meaning in the world 'belief'. If a policeman says: “I believe you committed murder”, it's much stronger and more conclusive than “I suspect you committed murder”. 'Suspect' implies an intuition lacking proof, so I've not biased the question.

Defining 'belief' as 'having nothing to support its view' is still an extremely outlying position and not what was meant here at all.

‘Believe' rather than 'suspect' in C and D reflects the fact that the average C voter feels more strongly about their views - perhaps feeling there is enough external evidence not to need to listen for themselves. All beliefs are based on fact: belief is an interpretation of facts.

Not turning out brilliantly, is it, item? Send me a couple of freebies and I'll change my vote. Always on the side of the underdog :)

Actually, why not send out pms with that offer? 50 or so 400€ cables should see you on the positive side of the ledger!

Seriously, what do you hope to gain with these silly polls, other than to keep your company name prominent à la AVI?

"I haven't auditioned USB cables and believe they won't differ" seems to be equating being rational and having a basic understanding of computer science with being closed-minded.

If I start "auditioning" USB cables then I'll need to test whether my car will perform differently based on who filled the petrol tank or whether my bank account will differ based on which post-man/-woman delivered the statement.

Not turning out brilliantly, is it, item? Send me a couple of freebies and I'll change my vote. Always on the side of the underdog :)

Actually, why not send out pms with that offer? 50 or so 400€ cables should see you on the positive side of the ledger!

Seriously, what do you hope to gain with these silly polls, other than to keep your company name prominent à la AVI?

Pure acquisition of knowledge - you wouldn't understand. It's immaterial how the vote turns out: if you look carefully at the information I'm gathering, none of it profits me at all. I'm interested in seeing what people think, and whether that changes over time. If you want a dumbed down version, think of it as 'market research'. It isn't really.

I can't vote because option three says 'believe they won't differ', I'd need 'know they won't differ'.

But fair play for choosing option six on my poll :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back