advertisement

USA v UK prices

My brother is the sales manager for a bathroom/kitchen supply company, they manufacture and supply the bathrooms and kitchens for most of the big retailers. He was saying that they have a very strict price model and retailers are not allowed to discount below a certain value. The director is old school and doesn't like websites so gives e-commerce a lower discount value than showrooms to prevent customers from going in to view the bathroom in a showroom and then buying online for much less.

I'd go one step further and suggest a manufacture doesn't supply to anyone who doesn't hold stock:)

All these e-commerce sites with 1000's of products listed at the click of a button and not even stocked?

Never knew dyslexia extended to knowledge of one's language (and I taught in a school for dyslexics a long time ago).

B.t.w., it's get OFF your high horse :D Never look an educational gift horse in the mouth (as we're going equestrian). :D

I suffer badly for dyslexia, always have done, it takes me a huge amount of effort to write a sentence correctly, letters the right way around, and make it cohesive.

Anyway I bet I speak Spanish better than you:p

The problem is that many people buy on price alone, not aftersales, or stockholding, or availability of experienced staff and demonstrations. All those facilities cost money, and the internet box-shifters are, in effect, parasitically preying on the real dealers and stores. In a healthy and thriving market, this may be tolerated, but I believe it eventually leads to a lean and impoverished market. I think that's where the UK is. I'd be very interested to know why Germany isn't there yet. I suspect it's because Germany is behind the UK in these things, and the UK is closer to the US in this regard, but without the enormous domestic market which makes the whole thing more sustainable.

Not completely sustainable though, I suspect, just delaying the inevitable.

I know one guy from the US and he was telling me a while ago, one of the importers in the US carry a certain line and had many "dealers" but none/few of them stocked the products, they just advertised them, once they had an order they would phone up the distributor and get him to ship the product to the customers home. A nice little earner that one.

Loads of brands drop ship to customers on a dealers behalf, dealer gets an reduced rate earner without holding stock and the maker gets more for doing more. Same in loads of industries. That's why I never buy from dealers who don't hold stock, what's the point when the are doing sfa for the money. I'd rather go direct to the maker.

The ripoffs go both ways. UK goods are marked up in the US too.

You could just about buy a whole Rega RP3 in the UK for what an RB303 sells for over here.

Yes it would be interesting to see the exchange comparison of entry level Rega and Grado products.

I would like to see the overseas prices of the Grado SR60e and Rega RP1 compared.

It just seems to be cheaper to live in the USA and a nurse for example has a better standard of living.

I always think we get done in rip off Britain. 20% VAT doesnt help

Yes it would be interesting to see the exchange comparison of entry level Rega and Grado products.

I would like to see the overseas prices of the Grado SR60e and Rega RP1 compared.

It just seems to be cheaper to live in the USA and a nurse for example has a better standard of living.

Poland I believe is 25% and Spain (lower wages than the UK) is 21%

Everywhere is a rip off.

Grado SR60e US$79 (=£47)
Rega RP1 with Rega Carbon US$445 (=£262)

Market size no doubt impacts relative prices but method of taxation seems to be a significant factor in the difference between hi-fi quip meant prices for the Us and Great Britain. In the US there is no VAT, that type of tax being anathema in this country so far. Here you pay the negotiated price plus a sales tax that typically runs from 7-10 percent. Although it's changing, in the past if you purchased out of state you could avoid the sales tax.

Obviously, Great Britain uses a VAT which is significantly higher than our simple sales tax. However, always remember that governments will get you by different methods but, in the end, they will get you. The last figures I've seen are from 2009 ,but at that time, total per capita taxation for the US and Britain were almost exactly the same at something over $13,000. US at 13,300 and UK at 13,800.

Both of us trailed, in some cases by a vast margin, Luxumberg, Sweden, Belgium, Austria, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Finland, France, and Germany (just slightly ahead).

advertisement

Back