advertisement

US doctor salaries and cost of care

Hi, its down to math's, the usa is to big, you can not run a firm/country so big, math's, they just do not get it ,

I think @Bob McC points to a particular problem in the muddle headed financing of UK health care.

On the one hand the NHS is underfunded and so has to operate very close to its bottom line, leaving little fiscal room for its own R&D and investment in its own improvement. On the other hand it actually pays out to the private sector for treatments it can’t provide itself due to lack of investment in its own R&D, and in so doing contributing to private sector profits and thereby private sector fiscal space to invest in….its own healthcare R&D.

In short, we have a public service that at the same time as being itself underfunded, as a consequence of being underfunded, is actually forced into contributing to the funding of the private sector.

Mad, but true.
Indeed. I had my new hip done in a local private hospital on the NHS.
The consultant offered me a choice of a ward in Macclesfield general or a room in the private Spire Regency private hospital. He was operating wherever I chose.

Last edited:
Yes, plenty of UK private hospitals soaking up the ‘easy’ day surgery operations. The trouble is that any aftercare is on the NHS, as is any serious problems that arise from said treatment which the NHS picks up without re-billing to the original source AFAIK.
No wonder the leeches are happy to soak up the profitable work and with 6.5m peeps on the list expect large overseas health care operations and smaller Uk not for profits ( which will probably be bought up by the former) will be looking to expand at some rate.
This is another un-acknowledged cost to the NHS which will be trumpeted as a win for ‘choice’ and an invaluable asset, taking the pressure off an inefficient NHS.
I think within my lifetime the NHS will be gutted by this sort of BS media and accounting, an ignorant populace will wake up too late, echoes of Brexit methinks as, unlike some here, I have little faith in the voting public. Forget about Labour fighting this inequity, that died with Gordon Brown. An unpopular leader who I hope will be looked upon in future as the last leader of a major party - Corbin with a pinch of salt excepted. - who could see the direction of travel and cared for the majority.
Joy to all, John

advertisement

Back