advertisement

US 2018 - more children have died in schools in 2018 than active service military have been killed

Soon there will be so much pressure from the next generation that the President will have to sort it out.

The NRA needs hanging out to dry...keep digging and more dirt will, surface, surely.

Surely the obvious answer is school vests?

Kevlar seems to have dropped in price.

That’s just awful. Safer to send your grown up child to war than your toddler to school.

This needs sorting. Just amend the amendment ffs you bunch of idiots.

Since the article includes the below, it seems the headline was intentional click bait.

"The figures for 2018 do not suggest schools are more dangerous than combat zones. After all, there are more than 50 million students in public elementary and high schools and only about 1.3 million members of the armed forces. So far in 2018, a member of the military has been about 40 times as likely to be killed as someone is to die in a school shooting, including Keller’s revised figures."

Obviously one school shooting is too much though.

So a job where being killed is part of the spec is only 40 times more dangerous than going to school. Yay woo go America etc. etc.

About 100 Americans a year die in school bus crashes.

Many more people have died from stabbing in London this year than in American schools from guns.

There are about 11000 murders with guns in the US annually. In 2017 6 students at school and college died from gun attacks. If risk were random then school would be a safe place.

. In 2017 6 students at school and college died from gun attacks. If risk were random then school would be a safe place.
Given that the vast majority of people going into a school are children, wouldn't you rather hope that this were the case? If I had children I'd rather like to think that they were safer in the school than out of it. That is rather a prequisite of employing people to look after children, after all.

Many more people have died from stabbing in London this year than in American schools from guns.

There are about 11000 murders with guns in the US annually. In 2017 6 students at school and college died from gun attacks. If risk were random then school would be a safe place.

Are you not misrepresenting things to get your message across? (If the sun is to be believed) 37 people have been stabbed to death in London in 2018, and 62 killed overall. (If the WP is to be believed) 28 or 29 schoolkids have been killed in the US so far in 2018. So your "many more" statement is actually around 25-30% more, and includes all ages and not just school age? I only googled quickly of course, and maybe 36 of those 37 London stabbing deaths were school age kids?

Both types of death shouldn't be happening...maybe we need a league table of some sorts to work out the worst atrocity? School shootings get my vote, but maybe that is because the only gun crime I suffered as a kid was being shot with a .22 air rifle, and that was in the fields out the back of my house, not my school :)

I don't recall hearing people in the UK advocating that knife sales shouldn't be restricted.. worse still that more "good guys" should carry a knife..

Knife crime has risen, significantly, all across the UK by almost the same %age as London. Police cuts appear to be an obvious reason.

Sadly, the US homicide rate - 5.0 per 100,000 citizens - is 416% higher than the UK, and is only half the story.. the US suicide rate is similar. Common theme: guns.

2zatg19.png

Graph from https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/21/us/school-shooting-us-versus-world-trnd/index.html

This is the number of school shootings, not the number of people at schools shot, since January 1, 2009, but it's sobering and the damn elephant in the room that Republicans refuse to acknowledge.

Joe

Does canada have any gun control laws that anyone with any common dog might regard as reasonable? Like licencing them, insisting that they be locked up when not in use, and so on? We do this in the UK even with police weapons. The guy shows up to work, is issued a weapon, signs for it, goes out and hopefully doesn't need to use it, then at the end of the working day he hands it back in, the armourer checks it back in and accounts for all the rounds, locks it away in the strong room, everyone happy. Too complicated for the USA though.

How many UK children have been stabbed to death, and more to whatever point you are trying to make, at school?

Are you not misrepresenting things to get your message across?
I don't have a 'message' other than the premise of this thread is nonsense.

So your "many more" statement is actually around 25-30% more, and includes all ages and not just school age?
US number includes college students. The headline US numbers include shooters and other adults.

The big deal is that if you eliminated all gun murder from the US the residual murder rate would be strikingly high compared to the civilised world. The US is an extremely violent society. So the obsession with particular events and an organisation that (however repugnant) represents the law abiding is counter-productive to reduction in violence and seems mostly a political football just batted back and forward between very entrenched positions. And 11000 people a year die. But they are irrelevant people.

The reality is that the violence is not randomly distributed and we don't want to contemplate what that means. The stabbing epidemic in London has similar traits.

How many UK children have been stabbed to death, and more to whatever point you are trying to make, at school?
And how many US military personnel were killed in schools? Sometimes you need to step back and take a minute before biting your foot. Or shooting it off.

I don't have a 'message' other than the premise of this thread is nonsense.

US number includes college students. The headline US numbers include shooters and other adults.

The big deal is that if you eliminated all gun murder from the US the residual murder rate would be strikingly high compared to the civilised world. The US is an extremely violent society. So the obsession with particular events and an organisation that (however repugnant) represents the law abiding is counter-productive to reduction in violence and seems mostly a political football just batted back and forward between very entrenched positions. And 11000 people a year die. But they are irrelevant people.

The reality is that the violence is not randomly distributed and we don't want to contemplate what that means. The stabbing epidemic in London has similar traits.
Good point. I guess it's correlated with poverty and inner city decay. So there's a strong argument for greater public investment in education, housing, childcare etc.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back