advertisement

UQHR Kind of Blue

I decided I didn’t actually need six copies of KoB, so I’ll stick with the five I have (Nimbus Supercut, Classic Records 2xLP, early 32dp Japanese CD, Complete Columbia Albums CD box set, Complete Miles & Coltrane CD box set). It’s not even his best album!

I decided I didn’t actually need six copies of KoB, so I’ll stick with the five I have (Nimbus Supercut, Classic Records 2xLP, early Japanese CD, Complete Columbia Albums CD box set, Complete Miles & Coltrane CD box set). It’s not even his best album!
I've only got 4 other copies so I definitely need this one to keep up!

It’s a pretty good sounding album across a lot of formats so I really don’t see the point in chasing such unicorns.

I have 4 copies including the Nimbus reissue so I also don't really need another. There was of course clearly a lot of promotion from Chad Kassem, but I was fairly convinced that AP are trying to produce a top quality product. I am now almost tempted to get one to compare even if this well exceeds my normal self set single record expenditure.

The real interest for me was in the input from Gary Salstrom on the detail, difficulties and methods used to ensure good quality plating and pressing. Also that it still seems to be an art as much as a science and there are not many true 'artists' left.

The question I would have wanted to ask was if they are using the original metal work, but are pressing 25,000 copies how are they doing this. They seem to agree that for the very best quality you can only get 500 pressings from a stamper. I believe that it is only possible to get about 10 top quality stampers from each mother, so that equals 5K copies per mother. So are there unused acetates to make new mothers or did they produce and and store at least 5 mothers at the time and store these?

I have two copies, an old but excellent LP I bought in 1990 and a CD remaster that sucks big time.
That’s enough for me.

Can it be purchased in the uk for non-silly money?

Good morning your Excellency, average UK price is about £120 plus p & p which, considering its supposed pressing and remastering qualities, is better value than new MoFi One-Steps. Shame it is on clear vinyl and delivery may not be before the summer! I am more than happy with my recent MoFi Original Master set - just wish it was 33rpm not 45.

advertisement

Back