advertisement

Upgrading from Micromega CD player - advice

IndyR1

Currently have a Micromega Logic CD player which has not missed a beat but can't help feeling that there is probably better sound to be had.

Budget is tight at around £400 but there seems quite a choice second hand and then there is the debate whether to keep this and use a DAC.

What would you do ?

Buy a Rega cd-player

Ditto, an Apollo would leave you with change from £400, if you are lucky you may score an Apollo R, if you can add £150 to your budget and wait a little you will score a Saturn which is a stunning player.

Update

Just spotted a rega Saturn in classifieds for £500, it's a staggeringly good player for that money and if you can stretch your budget then I would. You really won't regret it!

Not sure if I have enough space for a top loader but will endeavour to look out for one to try at home.

Local dealer sells Arcam among many so may try an rDAC.

The r dac is ok but not close to any rega CD player IMHO, you could look out for a rega dac, that will work nicely off the digital output of your CD player and can be used with an Apple TV/AE or similar to give you wireless streaming. You will get one within budget and it's much better than the r dac IMHO.

The r dac is ok but not close to any rega CD player IMHO, you could look out for a rega dac, that will work nicely off the digital output of your CD player and can be used with an Apple TV/AE or similar to give you wireless streaming. You will get one within budget and it's much better than the r dac IMHO.

VERY interesting, I've always liked Rega gear and it is interesting that you say I'd be better going for a Rega player rather than an Arcam DAC.

One of the dealers sells Rega so if nothing comes up secondhand I'll see if I can borrow a new player to get a feel for the presentation and sound quality.

VERY interesting, I've always liked Rega gear and it is interesting that you say I'd be better going for a Rega player rather than an Arcam DAC.

One of the dealers sells Rega so if nothing comes up secondhand I'll see if I can borrow a new player to get a feel for the presentation and sound quality.

Note that it's my opinion. Having owned a micromega stage 6 in the past I can say that it's livelier and more open than arcam kit I have heard/owned, I'd expect rega to be more up your street, it has the get up and go that arcam lacks.

I don't dislike arcam at all, I just find their kit a bit on the safe side.

They do but it's USB only sadly so no good for use with a CD player or atv/ae a shame IMO.
Wrong - where did you get this idea? That's the second time I've seen similar comments on this forum, it's as though someone is spreading disinformation about the product.

The MyDAC has USB, optical and Coax. It also happens to be a fine DAC - using one via optical at the moment.

There was a nice Avondale A5 in the classifieds well under budget. This player takes some beating and Les carries the necessary spares. You need to bare this in mind whatever CDP you buy as support is going to become an issue with some makes.

Wrong - where did you get this idea? That's the second time I've seen similar comments on this forum, it's as though someone is spreading disinformation about the product.

The MyDAC has USB, optical and Coax. It also happens to be a fine DAC - using one via optical at the moment.

Looking at the specs on a dealer website as I myself was interested in hearing one, if I'm wrong then I stand corrected and would like to hear one. If it's like micromega products of old then it will be good and I'd still like to hear one.

I'd highly recommend a Cyrus CD8 second hand.

Did I mention I'm banned from the Cyrus Unofficial forum?

I'd highly recommend a Cyrus CD8 second hand.

Did I mention I'm banned from the Cyrus Unofficial forum?

Not sure about the 8 but I had a cdxt se and had massive problems with it, back to Cyrus seven times over a space of 22 months then I got shot of it and brought a rega Apollo/dac, that was a wise move IMHO.

I have a linn ikemi now and couldn't be happier, one of these would be out of budget but a genki can be had for about £350, great CD player that has proved ultra reliable and totally serviceable. I have never seen a faulty genki.

advertisement

Back