advertisement

Upgrading from gen 1 Fuji x100

andyoz

pfm Member
I've had my X100 for what feels like ages. Have got some lovely shots with it over the years but the speed, interface and LCD date it now.

My main uses are family pictures and static car stuff. I like the discipline/image quality of prime lenses .

I tend to buy used gear a few years old. Should I just get another X100 or look at other stuff?

Other camera is a Lumix G5 I used for gig videos but barely use it now, just the odd car video with Zoom H5 top mounted

Firstly is it running the latest firmware - that makes quite a difference to the AF speed.

mind you like the X100 but want newer tech, then I’d just buy a later model, such as the X100F which now a few years old, but be aware that there is something about the Image Quality of the original Bauer sensor X100.

Last edited:
As David said, there's something quite beautiful about the original X100's output which for many folk has been lost in later models. They're all superb obviously, but I'd love to have an original again. If you want something more modern, but with a similar (ie non X-Trans) sensor to your X100, it'd be worth having a look at the X-T100. A friend of mine has one - it's nice and small, and with something like the 27mm pancake it'd make for a tidy package.

I just checked firmware and I'd stopped updating it at v2.00.

I see v2.01 improved AF speed by 20%. Is that the big jump everyone's referring too?

I'll load the latest V2.11.

As David said, there's something quite beautiful about the original X100's output which for many folk has been lost in later models. They're all superb obviously, but I'd love to have an original again. If you want something more modern, but with a similar (ie non X-Trans) sensor to your X100, it'd be worth having a look at the X-T100. A friend of mine has one - it's nice and small, and with something like the 27mm pancake it'd make for a tidy package.

There is a X-T100 for sale locally for £280.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4368066709884328/?ref=facebook_story_share

Fuji X-T3 has also come up for £700. What sort of nice prime lense would be a good match?

Y1CFgoY.jpg

I had an X-100S, then an XT-3..... wish I'd kept the X-100S tbh! I just seemed to get nicer pictures from it.

From my own experience(s) with various generations of Fujis, I'd tend to agree. Not to say the later ones aren't any good (far from it - they're superb cameras) but this thread got me browsing through some stuff I took on my original X100, and there really is something wonderful about it (that's the camera's rendering, not my images I should say!).

Throw that Bayer sensor into the X100V body (with its super AF & lens etc) and I'll buy one yesterday. :)

Yeah, mine isn't the x100S and I do like the look of the upgrades but not worth the jump for me now.

For an APS-C camera with almost shirt pocket portability I'd be looking at the Ricoh GRIII.... Gromit seems to get great results on his.

For an APS-C camera with almost shirt pocket portability I'd be looking at the Ricoh GRIII.... Gromit seems to get great results on his.

Thanks - I would've suggested the GRIII but am wary of being seen as a little 'evangelical' about it. :D

Mine's been on a 6 week holiday, having its sensor cleaned. The earlier GR's were/are notorious for suffering sensor dust from the lens sucking in air - my III had a couple of tiny (and I mine tiny - only noticeable when shooting at f16) specks but thought I'd send it away whilst under warranty. Got it back yesterday and it's good as new.

Thanks - I would've suggested the GRIII but am wary of being seen as a little 'evangelical' about it. :D

Mine's been on a 6 week holiday, having its sensor cleaned. The earlier GR's were/are notorious for suffering sensor dust from the lens sucking in air - my III had a couple of tiny (and I mine tiny - only noticeable when shooting at f16) specks but thought I'd send it away whilst under warranty. Got it back yesterday and it's good as new.

I have looked to pick up a GRIII a couple of times but the sensor dust issue has always put me off.

There is no denying the images coming off the camera are stunning though.

I have looked to pick up a GRIII a couple of times but the sensor dust issue has always put me off.

There is no denying the images coming off the camera are stunning though.

The dust issue is certainly one to bear in mind, although from my own experience (only with the III) it's probably over-stated a little. Mine hasn't been babied, although it still looks new, and think I could only see 2 actual specks on the sensor when stopped down to f16. From what is being said on Ricoh forums, the dust often seems to stem from people keeping the camera in coat pockets which contain various bits of fluff etc.

I use a JJC metal lens cap on mine.

The IQ is beautiful though, and the mono jpegs are some of the best I've seen from any system - Pentax's expertise coming in here I think.

I updated the x100 firmware so will give it another go. Didn't realise how well liked the original was.

advertisement

Back