advertisement

Upgrading from Fuji X-M1

John Channing

fruit box forever
I have been using the X-M1 for two years and although it has a lot of strengths , I feel the lack of an optical view finder is really limiting the quality of shots I am able to take. I am tempted by an X-T1 at just over £500, would you recommend it at that price or should I look at the X-Pro2 or something else?

It's pretty personal at this sort of level, the electronic finder on the X-T1 is excellent, and obviously the optical finder on the Pro1/Pro2 is a different kettle of fish, looser framing, but basically more like a rangefinder. There's no wrong answer.

I went through a not dissimilar process - recorded in the recent Fuji X Pro 1 thread. I was upgrading and older XE1 and couldn't decide between the XE2S with more glass and the XT1. In the end I went for the XE2S which is a huge upgrade on the XE1 but within a body I like and enjoy shooting with - and partly because it is closer to the X100 which I also own - the XE1 was at one time described as an X100 with changeable lenses

That said, I do still lust after an XT1 and, given that the XT2 is apparently going to be announced any day, may pick one up when prices tumble as people upgrade.

I prefer the rangefinder form so, not having the funding for an X Pro 2 stuck to the XE body. For me this suits prime shooting more, which is what I tend to do. If I was gong to use more telephotos the weight of the XT1 would have been more attractive. The XF 18 - 135, for example, looks a very versatile lens but is a lot chunkier and heavier than any of my current primes.

However, as Cesare says, there are no wrong answers, just lots of right ones.

Kevin

If you want a big bright EVF then the X-T1 is the one to have.

If you want weathersealing then the X-T1 is the one to have

If you print regularly larger than A3 then the X-Pro2 is the one to have (or wait for X-T2)

If you like the viewfinder to side rather than central then X-E2/X-E2S are the weapons of choice.

If you don't need any of the above then X-E2/X-E2S or X-T10 will hit the spot.

All except X-Pro2 will give same Image Quality, X-Pro2 gives very similar IQ at higher resolution.

Just plug in your personal criteria and make the choice!!!

If you want a big bright EVF then the X-T1 is the one to have.

If you want weathersealing then the X-T1 is the one to have

If you print regularly larger than A3 then the X-Pro2 is the one to have (or wait for X-T2)

If you like the viewfinder to side rather than central then X-E2/X-E2S are the weapons of choice.

If you don't need any of the above then X-E2/X-E2S or X-T10 will hit the spot.

All except X-Pro2 will give same Image Quality, X-Pro2 gives very similar IQ at higher resolution.

Just plug in your personal criteria and make the choice!!!

Thanks, useful. I am not printing larger than A3, so that is not an issue for me. I think the X-T1 at a bargain price with the X-T2 on its way is what I will do.

I went very quickly to an XT-1 from the M1 & IMO it's a considerable step up, the weatherproofing being a real bonus for me as I spend half my time in the Lake District. It's a great camera, you can't go wrong.

I went very quickly to an XT-1 from the M1 & IMO it's a considerable step up, the weatherproofing being a real bonus for me as I spend half my time in the Lake District. It's a great camera, you can't go wrong.

I think that's a plan. I only paid about £200 for the X-M1 body when it was on special offer on Amazon (combined with Fuji rebates) so I just need to keep my eyes open for a similar X-T1 bargain. :)

Whoops, had a senior moment in my previous answer. I actually went from an X Pro 1, not an M. Still, doesn't stop the XT-1 from being a great camera.

I think that's a plan. I only paid about £200 for the X-M1 body when it was on special offer on Amazon (combined with Fuji rebates) so I just need to keep my eyes open for a similar X-T1 bargain. :)

Fuji Refurb Store, and use the code PAYPAL12 to get 10% off bodies (not lenses)

advertisement

Back