advertisement

Upgrading ATC SM75-150S MID WAVEGUIDE

These are certainly an endgame speakers. Going bigger in the classic line brings more reach in the low end suitable for biggeer rooms. I'm perfectly happy with 50ASL's in my 4,75 x 7,1 x 2,6m living room + open concept kitchen space. Measured from the sweet spot, they go to ~24hz -0dB (speakers aren't positioned symmetrically in the room). I've only owned these little over one year but as you said, there's no temptation to change them. Little by little I've been able to extract more and more out of them with small tweaks, measurements, acoustic treatment and positioning.

As price of electricity climbs up to new record heights, I wish ATC would've implemented a standby function to their active speakers. But that's another discussion.
With the amps built in I kept forgetting to switch them off, thankfully they warm up very quickly so I switch them on, go make a cuppa and they're pretty much ready to roll.

Imagine how hot the amp packs get when they’re both crammed into one P6 unit! Bloody hot is the answer. I always left my 100s on 24/7 but I now switch off the P6 after each session. My leccy bill will thank me for it.

I think the last ATC "Anniversary" editions were more about special cabinets than upgraded technology. I suspect that may happen again in 2024.
The amp packs in the Anniversaries are significantly different. They use discrete components, and the transformers are mounted on the base panel, away from the crossover circuitry. A useful improvement IMO

The amp packs in the Anniversaries are significantly different. They use discrete components, and the transformers are mounted on the base panel, away from the crossover circuitry. A useful improvement IMO

I wonder if ATC would sell the anniversary amp packs for regular models as an upgrade?

I wonder if ATC would sell the anniversary amp packs for regular models as an upgrade?
I think not. The back panels are different and would require a rework of the cabinets. Best bet is to track down some Annies :)

I think not. The back panels are different and would require a rework of the cabinets. Best bet is to track down some Annies :)

I'm perfectly happy with my regular 50's :) But there's actually one pair of 50ASLT Anniversary for sale in Hifiwigwam.

Yes, they’re a bit overpriced IMO especially without the new tweeter. When I think I sold mine for £5.5k a little over 10 years ago……

Lovely speakers though

advertisement

Back