advertisement

Upgrades for Naim Amp Boards?

Mike Hanson

Trying to understand...
I have the original amp boards from my NAP110, which I replaced with NCC200s (in addition to installing Les' worthwhile PS upgrade). I've got a spare transformer, so I may bodge an amp together, just for fun.

Are there any worthwhile changes (servicing or upgrades) that I should do? People are often talking about better capacitors etc., but I've no idea what spec these are.

I think the archive is littered with threads about modding naim amp boards. I gave up on them a long time ago so my memory is lacking. Front end decoupling like the ncc200, the diode and resistor isolation for the front end power rail, 100r resistors for the LTP transistors. All done on the ncc200 board. People messed with feedback and input caps and i think those are down to personal taste. I remember trying quite a few different caps - wima, mmk, smr, bc128, silmics, oscons etc etc. Decoupling of the output transistors is another one i just remembered.

When I modded mine, the biggest difference by far was changing the feedback caps. I don't know what they are, some random ones I bought in Japan.

Check out Martin Clark's Acoustica site as well for Naim Mods

I should make clear, the three principal Naim pre, Naim power amp mod, and 'Naim PSU bible' pages were wholly & diligently compiled and supplied by Ced Taylor ( 'ced2' last time he was active here)

These days I merely (but happily) host them :)

And also - perceptions move on: so if anyone has ideas to add or augment or revise (some of which, for example - current available or preferred parts choices, a thing I have been racking-up to do for a while now) - I'd be very happy to receive, review &update to accommodate such suggestions.

advertisement

Back