advertisement

Updating the M-DAC+ firmware

busb

Mine's a pint of beer please
How you update the firmware depends on whether or not you current version begins with a 0 (like mine) or 1 that just requires the file to be loaded onto a USB stick then the DAC be powered up with the standby button momentarily held.
If you firmware begins with 0, you have to run a program from Windows using a sodding USB A to USB A cable that I have on order.
If I knew how much effort it would take to do what JW did so effortlessly (from the end-user's point of view) with the original version, I would have thought twice about buying one! I can't even take it to the shop I bought it from, they use MACs exclusively.
What I don't yet know is once updated, if the memory stick method will work for any potential future updates or if I'm stuck with pissing around with Windows due to hardware restrictions.

Of all the cables I have in the house, I didn't have a single USB A to USB A. Couple of quid from eBay sorted that out. Windows 10 had to install drivers before it saw my M-DAC+, but it was relatively pain-free after that. Future updates will take no time at all now that I'm all setup.

advertisement

Back