advertisement

Up to £5000-ish Turntable discussion (not argument)

Alex S

carbon based lifeform
I like listening to music via records compared to other means, just. I like all kinds of music, and since this is a source I don't really see the rest of the gear being that relevant. MM or MC, I'm not bothered at this stage. I have a shortlist of things to consider. It would be helpful to know what arms are recommended for those decks that have a choice. I've decided that SME level is out of budget but would semi happily buy used.

New Regas
Michell Gyro or Orbe
Notts Analogue Dais
New Technics
Well Tempered

I've done LP12 so I won't go there again - nothing against it.

My chances of doing any meaningful dem are about zero so I would really appreciate people's thoughts. I don't really want to know that the LP12 is shite, the Orbe boring, the Well Tempereds golftastic, but would really appreciate the thoughts of any owners of the above, why they chose them and what they might have compared them to. It may also be that my modded SL1200 is good enough but either way that's not part of this discussion. Many thanks.

Alex,
Do you have any preferences - such as fit and forget v constant tweaking?
Is your budget including arm, cartridge and phono stage or is it just the TT and tonearm?
Charlie

Just TT and tonearm (but do want an arm within that sort of budget), cart and phono extra. I'm loosing a bit of enthusiasm for fiddling so fit and forget is a positive.

Buy used (or borrow), even if it takes a while, buy at sensible prices, and compare at home. It does mean that you'll make a double expenditure to compare, but that would be temporary until you made a choice and sold the un-preferred on.

Rely on what counts - your own ears, not those of others.

If you want fit and forget with decent WAF and high sound quality, then either Rega Planar 10 or Funk Firm Saffire would be high on my list.

All you're going to get here is a wave of noises supporting each deck in turn. Chances of meaningful learning, slim.

With it probably being quite difficult to buy a genuinely bad turntable these days my suggestion would be to buy the one that tickles you the most, but buy it used so that you can avoid taking a bath if you don't like it.

Second hand Bauer Audio DPS 3 with Bauer Audio tonearm. Very engaging and tuneful sounding deck. Very nice build quality too. And no hassle after setup is done. Just fit and forget and play your albums with great sound.

Or one of the Dr.Feickert decks. Plenty of arm options here as you can fit almost any arm in these decks.

Second hand Bauer Audio DPS 3 with Bauer Audio tonearm. Very engaging and tuneful sounding deck. Very nice build quality too. And no hassle after setup is done. Just fit and forget and play your albums with great sound.

Or one of the Dr.Feickert decks. Plenty of arm options here as you can fit almost any arm in these decks.

The DPS is a very fine sounding TT

All you're going to get here is a wave of noises supporting each deck in turn. Chances of meaningful learning, slim.

With it probably being quite difficult to buy a genuinely bad turntable these days my suggestion would be to buy the one that tickles you the most, but buy it used so that you can avoid taking a bath if you don't like it.
Yes. Anyone who actually compared any of these things could really help. I guess in this price bracket most stuff sounds decent. On looks I’d edge towards Gyro type things. Smallish footprint and not stupidly heavy are pluses.

The DPS is a very fine sounding TT
Yes it is and it's kind of sad it is not very well known. It does the Linn thing better than Linn IMO and is much cheaper than top of the line Linn decks. A very good option if one likes Rega and Linn decks.

I've previously owned Rega P9, Well Tempered Amadeus and Simon Yorke S9. Also tried relatively high spec LP12 at home and heard various decks in other places. I rate DPS 3 quite highly considering everything I've heard. But yes, there are many good sounding decks available at the moment.

For 5.5 K if I were starting from scratch, I'd probably go for the Gold Note Mediterraneo and that includes the arm.

advertisement

Back