advertisement

Unknown Pleasures at 40

That would be Quiex II wouldn't it?

That has to be far later, wasn’t that a fairly recent Classic Records thing? The very dark translucent red was a hallmark of the UK Pye pressing plant in the 1970s that did a lot of contract work for other labels. Original copies of most Elton John (DJM), Donna Summer (Casablanca) albums and many others are pressed on the same stuff. I’m sure it wasn’t deliberate, all black vinyl is dyed, this stuff just didn’t quite get to an opaque black! For some reason it has become hugely collectable with Joy Division, but really it is just the same as A1/B1 black copies that were pressed elsewhere. IIRC Factory were so confident they pressed 12,000 copies which is a huge number for a debut album on a new independent label, and that was more than a single pressing plant could handle within the required timeframe so they sent it to two. I’ve never compared black to dark red copies, mine is just what I got when I bought it.

My A1/B1 Closer is black as are the 12” singles (the She’s Lost Control/Atmosphere is the original FACUS issue with the sides reversed and is a simply astonishing cut!). I should perhaps check Still as I can’t remember, but I think they are all black. I had a translucent red copy of Atmosphere ages ago, but stupidly gave it away when I found the better sounding US copy!

whoa - nice stash - where's the last album? (movement)

Ha! I think I have New Order complete up to Blue Monday including both versions of Ceremony. Movement seems widely overlooked and I never understood why, its a very good album IMO. I bought all this NO stuff on day of release, I was a real fan. Saw them live a lot early on too.

i consider both movement and ceremony to be bona fide joy division works in all senses - only have a substitute singer - barney can sound just as moody i suppose too

Has anyone seen any indication as to how many the 40th limited edition Unknown Pleasures is actually limited to? I’m assuming quite a lot - Piccadilly seemed to have about 50 behind the counter yesterday, and that is a week or so after release! I can’t see any info as to quantity on the Rhino site, so I’m guessing limited to ‘as many as they think they can sell’ much like a lot of RSD titles!

PS I was actually surprised by how small the limited edition of the Manchester Art Gallery True Faith exhibition coloured vinyl Closer and PCL were at just 1000 each, which I guess technically puts them as some of the most collectable JD/NO releases. Very pleased I grabbed both of those.

Sounds like a liberal definition of limited as with a lot of modern releases. Still available on Amazon, not decided whether to get it or not yet, still debating over a first pressing.

My copy is on the way from Amazon UK, this will increase my JD collection from 0 to 1.

Still available on Amazon, not decided whether to get it or not yet, still debating over a first pressing.

Huge difference in price! I’m not opening mine, but I’d not expect it to sound as good as depending on who you believe a) the Unknown Pleasures master tape was used for a while to prop-up a collapsing area of the stage at the Hacienda, and b) after Factory went under Pete Hook liberated it from a damp skip outside. Both or neither may be true, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if the master was no longer in a serviceable condition. I’ve no idea what the modern digital is taken from (and I assume the 40th is digital), but I’ve not been overly impressed with either Heart And Soul or the Deluxe Edition CDs. They are not terrible by any stretch, but neither are they my original vinyl.

PS Just giving Movement a spin for the first time in a crazy long time. First time hearing it through giant Tannoys and, as ever with Hannett productions, it sounds superb (he was a huge fan and had several pairs of Monitor Golds, Reds etc).

Huge difference in price! I’m not opening mine, but I’d not expect it to sound as good as depending on who you believe a) the Unknown Pleasures master tape was used for a while to prop-up a collapsing area of the stage at the Hacienda, and b) after Factory went under Pete Hook liberated it from a damp skip outside. Both or neither may be true, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if the master was no longer in a serviceable condition. I’ve no idea what the modern digital is taken from (and I assume the 40th is digital), but I’ve not been overly impressed with either Heart And Soul or the Deluxe Edition CDs. They are not terrible by any stretch, but neither are they my original vinyl.

PS Just giving Movement a spin for the first time in a crazy long time. First time hearing it through giant Tannoys and, as ever with Hannett productions, it sounds superb (he was a huge fan and had several pairs of Monitor Golds, Reds etc).

Yes I think one of his pairs was on ebay a while back.

Yes massive difference in price, but I don't need a minty McMint version like the one sold above, a very nice serviceable VG+/NM can be had for about £110-150, which I'd be willing to stump for seeing as A) it's one of my favourite albums and B) it would be a one off purchase as a 40th birthday present to myself.

I'm well versed in 'man logic' so not much talking myself into it is required.

What's the other?

As above, Closer, they really are a perfect pair. You also need the singles Transmission, Love Will Tear Us Apart and Atmosphere, but they can be added via any number of CD compilations.

I've been listening to 'Best Of' quite a bit recently and the 2 cd's have similar songs with very different production - is this the Martin Hannett affect?

Has anyone seen any indication as to how many the 40th limited edition Unknown Pleasures is actually limited to? I’m assuming quite a lot - Piccadilly seemed to have about 50 behind the counter yesterday, and that is a week or so after release! I can’t see any info as to quantity on the Rhino site, so I’m guessing limited to ‘as many as they think they can sell’ much like a lot of RSD titles!

PS I was actually surprised by how small the limited edition of the Manchester Art Gallery True Faith exhibition coloured vinyl Closer and PCL were at just 1000 each, which I guess technically puts them as some of the most collectable JD/NO releases. Very pleased I grabbed both of those.

From Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Joy-Division-Unknown-Pleasures/release/13729623

This reissue ℗ 2015 & © 2019 Warner Records UK Ltd.

30,000 copies released worldwide in textured sleeve in reverse colors (black on white). Sticker on shrink-wrap states: JOY DIVISION Unknown Pleasures. 40th anniversary limited edition of the classic debut album. Pressed on ruby red 180g heavyweight vinyl.

I’m not opening mine, but I’d not expect it to sound as good

Oh go on, Tony, open up; we need someone to do the comparison. I too have little faith it will compare to a first pressing, which sounds amazing, but it would be interesting if they've tried to get close.

For the uninitiated on this thread, you really need to hear 'Still' sides A/B as well as "UP' and 'Closer'. 'Still' may not be a 'proper' album, but it's in some ways the most rigorously brutalist and forbidding, particularly songs like 'The Sound of Music' and 'Glass'. In fact all of Side A, culminating with the harrowing 'The Only Mistake'. Then there is 'Dead Souls', one of the greatest songs by anyone ever.

advertisement

Back