advertisement

Unknown Pleasures at 40

matt j

pfm Member
Was good to hear Unknown Pleasures in full via original vinyl on 6 music on Friday, not a massive fan of Mary Ann Hobbs but she pulled it off well, some good interviews as well.

Would love an original copy myself but nice ones are a bit spendy.

One of my favourite albums for sure. I see it has been reissued on red vinyl with the cover reversed-out: Unknown Pleasures - 40th Anniversary. Which means I must have had my copy for 40 years! Mine is one of the Pye-pressed ones on translucent dark red vinyl (only noticeable held in front of a light). It is a fabulous sounding record.

PS I don’t know why given I’m actually trying to downsize the record collection a bit, but I’m half tempted to buy the anniversary issue as the cover is kind of cool!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I was literally just about to start a post on this.

I read this in The Quietus

https://thequietus.com/articles/266...rsary-bakers-dozen-suede-laibach-irvine-welsh

and firstly was taken aback this is 40 years old then realised it must be ten years or since I last played it.

For the last 40 minutes I’ve sat slightly awestruck by what an utterly ****ing wonderful record it is. Has there really ever been a better one - in rock least ways?

I bought it in 1979, the inner sleeve is discoloured by my teenage fingerprints. Listening to it I’m reconnected to my teenage self but also feel I’m hearing a great record for the first time.

My copy has a 1A/1B etching - but think I read somewhere the first few were on undyed vinyl that is red when you hold it up to the light.

Anyway, I’m left wondering why this has sat on the shelf for so long between listens and reflecting on how rarely I play my favourite records and how much time I spend looking for new stuff that really doesn’t measure up.

NB Notice I’ve crossed posts with Tony re earlier Pye pressing

Kevin

As someone who prefers CD, can anyone advise if a Factory CD is better than the later WEA reissues?

As someone who prefers CD, can anyone advise if a Factory CD is better than the later WEA reissues?

Reputedly, yes. IIRC the best of the lot, predictably, is the early Japanese issue. I’ve been quietly looking for a tidy original (pre-barcode) Factory CD of both UP and Closer for ages now, good examples seem to go for rather a lot unfortunately. I suspect they will be good as the other early Factory CDs I have certainly are. I’ve heard the Heart And Soul box and the Deluxe Editions and they are not terrible, but do sound rather thickened and compressed compared to the original vinyl.

I’ve been quietly looking for a tidy original (pre-barcode) Factory CD of both UP and Closer for ages now, good examples seem to go for rather a lot unfortunately.

I have pre-barcode Factory CD of Closer that I purchased back in the day, what is it worth Tony? (not that I'd part with it).

I have pre-barcode Factory CD of Closer that I purchased back in the day, what is it worth Tony? (not that I'd part with it).

CDs are really hard to value, but that’s a good one, so if mint I’d have thought >£20, but how much greater than that I’m not sure. By saying that there is a chance one could find a copy on lurking somewhere the high st for a quid the CD market being what it is (I’ve just not managed to yet!). First issue Factory of just about any title is collectable though and will keep climbing. How does it sound?

The funny thing is, the band themselves hated the mix and production at the time, still not sure if they all actually "like it". I'd say it's one of those times where, the producer did actually "know what would suit it" and had the vision way beyond the band had themselves. Hooky wanted it to sound like the Hawk's mid period albums with Bob Calvert on vocals.

I just stuck it on Tony to refresh my memory but I'm just not in the mood for it right now so best not to state an opinion! (no reflection on the CD or album).

The funny thing is, the band themselves hated the mix and production at the time, still not sure if they all actually "like it". I'd say it's one of those times where, the producer did actually "know what would suit it" and had the vision way beyond the band had themselves. Hooky wanted it to sound like the Hawk's mid period albums with Bob Calvert on vocals.

The ‘Warsaw’ bootleg of the RCA sessions shows what it might have been without Martin Hannett/Factory. An interesting document, but a pale shadow of what it eventually became. I’m pretty sure that without Hannett we’d not be talking about them now as whilst the raw songs are obviously good the thing that made it so totally new and unlike everything that had gone before just hadn’t been crafted. The whole sonic palette and aesthetic is as significant as what George Martin brought to The Beatles, what Georgio Moroder brought to Donna Summer etc etc.

Reputedly, yes. IIRC the best of the lot, predictably, is the early Japanese issue. I’ve been quietly looking for a tidy original (pre-barcode) Factory CD of both UP and Closer for ages now, good examples seem to go for rather a lot unfortunately. I suspect they will be good as the other early Factory CDs I have certainly are. I’ve heard the Heart And Soul box and the Deluxe Editions and they are not terrible, but do sound rather thickened and compressed compared to the original vinyl.

I have the Nippon Columbia Box Set which has Unknown Pleasures, Closer, Still, Substance and the Atmosphere/She's Lost Control single. It cost me £55 in 1991 at the Virgin Megastore on TCR which was an huge price back then. It is certainly a much better listen than anything released post-Substance and particularly post-Factory.

I didn't get Unknown Pleasures until December 1979 as the record just wasn't available in Dublin back then (or if it was I couldn't find it). I had managed to record most of the tracks from Peel by then so I knew it pretty well. It was an astonishing record back then and still stands up well after forty years.

Just checked my cd copies of UP and Closer, they are pre barcode Factory pressings. I remember buying them in Oxford St Virgin in late 80s. They have textured inlays. UP has the textured track list insert and made by MPO France. Must play it later though can only compare with the cd in the Heart and Soul box and 2007 vinyl reissue.

This is one of those albums that reminds me that we haven't really come very far in terms of inventiveness, production technique, attitude, etc. Unknown Pleasures and Closer are just fantastic sounding albums IMO. Martin Hannett was a nightmare but also a genius.

Coincidentally - I've been listening to MBV Loveless a lot recently - which is a similar story IMO.

This is one of those albums that reminds me that we haven't really come very far in terms of inventiveness, production technique, attitude, etc. Unknown Pleasures and Closer are just fantastic sounding albums IMO. Martin Hannett was a nightmare but also a genius.

i might go so far as to say Hannett really WAS Joy Division ... i mean - if you compare any non Hannett Joy Division 'production' (or hear them live - though to a lesser degree) - you realize there's just no way they would have made the same mark (or even close to it) with someone else -would have been a different act for sure ...

advertisement

Back