advertisement

University Challenge and music ...

Tumeni Notes

pfm Member
If any of you heard a series of loud slapping noises in the background yesterday evening, it was my facepalms during the music round of University Challenge. You'll often hear me do this on a Monday evening, whenever the music round comes around, but I was watching a recording this time.

For this week's music question, the contestants were invited to name the bandleader and solo instrumentalist from a jazz piece. The opening theme of "A Love Supreme" rang out, and a couple of seconds later, Sheffield buzzes in with "Miles Davis?". After Paxman's "Noooooo.... ", UCL hear a little more, and after a few befuddled looks, one hazards their music reputation with "Louis Armstrong?" .....

So, neither got the starter, so no bonus questions until one team got a different starter question right, and once this was done, the music bonuses came back up - to identify three artists whose albums gained Crowns in all nine editions of the Penguin Guide to Jazz.

First up was Sonny Rollins, and after some bemused looks ... "Benny Goodman?"

Second was European Peter Brotzmann, and after suggesting Stephane Grappelli, and wondering if Grappelli played guitar (!), they passed on that one. I have to confess, though, I wouldn't know Brotzmann if he bit me on the leg, but...

Third was the classic tones of Miles Davis, and the first contestant above was then able to be redeemed with "Oh, THAT'S Miles Davis" .....

13m30 to 14m herein, for those who haven't seen it -

Quite a bit, as I would imagine many of the readers here will.

UC routinely features classical music in the music rounds - the kind of stuff written in the 1800s and prior, and they expect the students to know that, so ..... a few decades is a nothing-burger

The stuff that I don't know about is the sh*t that came along after I was born. I recall one UC music round from years back where the team were expected to classify similar-sounding chunks of electronica into 'house' 'hip hop', 'garage' and such, and they were equally as clueless as I was.

We were watching University Challenge and The Wife came out with the answer instantly.

Even she was shocked.

I’ve noticed when talking with other people about my liking for Jazz, that a great many declare that they hate it and many others just seem mystified and know nothing about it at all.

We had a jazz trio at our wedding reception this time last year which I should add was in the afternoon and then we escaped for our travels. We loved it but my sister in particular hates jazz to the point of looking tortured. We had the mic from the speeches so of course I was gently scatting to enhance her fun even more

I’ve noticed when talking with other people about my liking for Jazz, that a great many declare that they hate it and many others just seem mystified and know nothing about it at all.

:cool:

someone_likes_jazz_1a.jpg

If any of you heard a series of loud slapping noises in the background yesterday evening, it was my facepalms during the music round of University Challenge. You'll often hear me do this on a Monday evening, whenever the music round comes around, but I was watching a recording this time.

For this week's music question, the contestants were invited to name the bandleader and solo instrumentalist from a jazz piece. The opening theme of "A Love Supreme" rang out, and a couple of seconds later, Sheffield buzzes in with "Miles Davis?". After Paxman's "Noooooo.... ", UCL hear a little more, and after a few befuddled looks, one hazards their music reputation with "Louis Armstrong?" .....

So, neither got the starter, so no bonus questions until one team got a different starter question right, and once this was done, the music bonuses came back up - to identify three artists whose albums gained Crowns in all nine editions of the Penguin Guide to Jazz.

First up was Sonny Rollins, and after some bemused looks ... "Benny Goodman?"

Second was European Peter Brotzmann, and after suggesting Stephane Grappelli, and wondering if Grappelli played guitar (!), they passed on that one. I have to confess, though, I wouldn't know Brotzmann if he bit me on the leg, but...

Third was the classic tones of Miles Davis, and the first contestant above was then able to be redeemed with "Oh, THAT'S Miles Davis" .....

13m30 to 14m herein, for those who haven't seen it -

I enjoyed that question. I thought the Brotzmann was a bold choice (I didn't recognise it but I guessed correctly).

advertisement

Back