advertisement

Unicorn hunting - DACs . . .

All -

Been having a lot fun listening to music through the LP12 - and thank you all for your thoughts on it.

I'd like to experiment with improving the DAC side of things - I have a Naim nDAC/Pardo TXPS, which sounds great, but would like it to be even better. I can't quite go up to the dCS level financially (well, I could, but it'd irresponsible), so something short of that. One thing the Naim/Pardo combo does well is bass and drive - I wouldn't want to lose that. Transport is either a Meridian 500Mk2 or Exposure 3010S2 CD player.

While I don't stream much, I'd prefer to get a DAC that has multiple inputs and can decode most things on the market. Used is preferable, though not averse to new if that's the best way forward. I'm also not averse to a single box CD player like the Rega Saturn-R if it would be a substantial leap forward (the Isis is out price-wise, sadly).

The usual caveats - it's got to be from a 'real' company, which I define as one that has been around a while, is likely to continue, and offers good support. While I know we can debate the 'good support' aspect, I'd put Exposure, Linn, Rega, Naim, Chord, etc. on that list. I tried a Topping E30 from amazon, and was not impressed, even though it only cost $150.

So I suppose I'm unicorn hunting - but if I don't look, I'll never find it if it exists, right?

Whereabouts are you? I have a Rega Saturn R in its box at the mo - happy to bring over for a demo.

Whereabouts are you? I have a Rega Saturn R in its box at the mo - happy to bring over for a demo.

Neil - that's very kind of you - but I'm in the Denver-Boulder area, in Colorado, in the US. It would be a BIT of a trip! Would be happy to host, however!

You could try Mytek. I have a Manhattan II, which is very nice. RME is another make worth trying. I use an ADI-2 DAC in my headphone system.

Another vote for Benchmark, and being made in the US probably makes them cheaper for you than for us in the UK. I have the DAC2 HGC.

Except we’ve had absolutely horrendous air quality every summer for several years now. Wildlifes have become the norm recently, locally or in California. It’s a real shame since it is a beautiful area but the advice is limit your outside exercise and close you windows.

All -

Been having a lot fun listening to music through the LP12 - and thank you all for your thoughts on it.

I'd like to experiment with improving the DAC side of things - I have a Naim nDAC/Pardo TXPS, which sounds great, but would like it to be even better. I can't quite go up to the dCS level financially (well, I could, but it'd irresponsible), so something short of that. One thing the Naim/Pardo combo does well is bass and drive - I wouldn't want to lose that. Transport is either a Meridian 500Mk2 or Exposure 3010S2 CD player.

While I don't stream much, I'd prefer to get a DAC that has multiple inputs and can decode most things on the market. Used is preferable, though not averse to new if that's the best way forward. I'm also not averse to a single box CD player like the Rega Saturn-R if it would be a substantial leap forward (the Isis is out price-wise, sadly).

The usual caveats - it's got to be from a 'real' company, which I define as one that has been around a while, is likely to continue, and offers good support. While I know we can debate the 'good support' aspect, I'd put Exposure, Linn, Rega, Naim, Chord, etc. on that list. I tried a Topping E30 from amazon, and was not impressed, even though it only cost $150.

So I suppose I'm unicorn hunting - but if I don't look, I'll never find it if it exists, right?
Gustard X16. Most audiophiles won't consider it a "serious" DAC because it's only $500.

Too bad.

I think the problem here is lots of different people’s experiences with no common reference.

A dealer might sell dacs from half a dozen different manufacturers but that might only give a couple of options at each price point.

The range of options currently available direct from China is wide but where can you actually get an idea of the relative merits.

Ive heard a few and the range of quality is very variable, from some quite inexpensive units that work really well, to some well regarded and expensive kit that I thought absolutely woeful.

I think the problem here is lots of different people’s experiences with no common reference.

A dealer might sell dacs from half a dozen different manufacturers but that might only give a couple of options at each price point.

The range of options currently available direct from China is wide but where can you actually get an idea of the relative merits.

Ive heard a few and the range of quality is very variable, from some quite inexpensive units that work really well, to some well regarded and expensive kit that I thought absolutely woeful.
Yea..... I considered mentioning my own dac, but I've heard so few that I dont actually know how it sounds versus the competition at a similar price - I bought it because sq told me to.

Although it seems to follow a familiar pattern on ASR of 1 page of good reported measurements followed by 147 pages of quality control problems (in this case relating to DSD playback).
I don't have any standalone DSD files. For SACD, I use OPPO UDP-205, which is also excellent as a DAC, but unfortunately discontinued.

There have been lots of new “analogue sounding” DACs in the press over the past 12 months
Merason, Holo Audio, Bricasti, Lab12, Okto Research, Soekris, Audiobyte, Rockna,
Has anyone heard any of these and are they a step up from the DACs already mentioned?

advertisement

Back