advertisement

Unbelievable cable prices

naimplayer

Aspiring to be a halfwit.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Funny thing is he needs a 5m pair.

Couldn't he just extend them with something else he has lying around?

What kind of audiophile spends that kind of money on a cable and sells it without seeing if it is any good . Unused FFS .

His HiFi must be so heavy he can't move things 1m closer together.

That's the only explanation that makes any sense.

Wow indeed.
His ad. says "no low ballers or dreamers" need apply. Well, that's me out !
Is he a dealer though ? Check the name Stereo something and he has loads of HiFi sold on Ebay.
He spent 5K on interconnects !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny thing is that if they were fakes they'd still sound better than cheapies, once the new buyer didn't know they were fakes :)

Well yes, they are ridiculously expensive but they are far from the priciest I have seen. Atlas, norost, chord, kimber to name a few, have some monumentally expensive products. Are they worth it in sonic terms? No of course not but if somebody wants them enough to pay those prices then that is up to them, it's their money and it's not for us to criticise.

If I could sell somebody 5 meters of speaker cable for £9k I would. Atlas can, fair play to them.

There can be a bit of double-think in this cable-bashing approach, popular as it always is. You'l routinely find guys who spend huge sums on stuff like Kondo, GT Audio, Audionote and so on. What these brands have in common is the , wholly unsubstantiated claim, that silver and 'special' components justify sky high prices. They offer no real proof; what they say may or may not be true. It's never supported by technical measurements. You listen to the stuff, and you either believe or you don't.
Which makes them surprisingly similar to cable sellers, indeed both kondo and Audionote sell stunningly pricey cable. So how come there are such dual approaches to what, on the face of it, is a very similar set of unsupported claims?
And please, no rush to defend Kondo et al. I'm simply stating that they make unsupported claims as a matter of routine. Lots of people like the stuff, but then lots of people like specific cables....

Well yes, they are ridiculously expensive but they are far from the priciest I have seen. Atlas, norost, chord, kimber to name a few, have some monumentally expensive products. Are they worth it in sonic terms? No of course not but if somebody wants them enough to pay those prices then that is up to them, it's their money and it's not for us to criticise. If I could sell somebody 5 meters of speaker cable for £9k I would. Atlas can, fair play to them.

Laughing uproariously at their folly is perfectly acceptable

Chris

Laughing uproariously at their folly is perfectly acceptable

Chris

Yes, I laugh at them but I don't get angry or upset about them, it's their money to waste.

It's no different to spending £5k on a wrist watch IMO, the clock on my phone is just as accurate and that makes calls, browses the web, plays music, controls my stereo and was supplied free with my phone contract.

Originally Posted by AndyU
If they've never been used how does he know they are superb?

perhaps his dealer allowed him to listen to a pair before sale ?

This is the craziest cable I've seen. a £1,250 cable to take the data from a £250 device:

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioqu...dipadiphone-cable-5m-p-5598.html#.U6g4K5RdWs8

Wow, just wow, and it's not even up to date, the 30 pin connection has been replaced with the lightning connector, I can't see that product retaining it's value for long :eek:. Seems a little expensive just for a cable to charge your iPod/sync to iTunes. But still, if somebody is daft enough to pay it then it's up to them, I'm not worried.

advertisement

Back