advertisement

Ummagumma on CD

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
I have an Ummagumma shaped hole in my digital music library.

None of the CD's of this album are expensive - anyone have an opinion as to good/bad ones?

cheers

Because of the content ie a live album and a rubbish album, I went for the bog standard original CD release. On vinyl I went for an original Harvest but only because CD was not at that point invented!

Astronomy Domine on this has always been a favourite though.

Original issue Japanese, UK, or German Floyd CDs are always a safe bet. Floyd have never been mastered badly, but any of these early issues would be my choice.

Because of the content ie a live album and a rubbish album, I went for the bog standard original CD release. On vinyl I went for an original Harvest but only because CD was not at that point invented!

Astronomy Domine on this has always been a favourite though.
It's really only the live album I ever listen to - the version of CWTAE is absolutely epic. I've got a great boot of soundboard tapes of both gigs from which they were derived as well.

It's odd how a band could be such an awesome live act whilst at the same time release guff like the studio half of this and Atom Heart Mother.

Looks like a '94 AAD UK CD is the way to go then, cheers.

The 94 remaster in the slip case is the one I have and is fine. I thought about buying a Japanese fat box original CD but I don't think the cost justifies it, ditto original EMI. SQ-wise the Doug Sax '94 is much, much better.

You then need this for the BBC and Paradiso concerts. All essential.

MzktNjAzOC5qcGVn.jpeg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X6FQWDX/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

And includes this brilliant "More" outtake.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The 94 remaster in the slip case is the one I have and is fine. I thought about buying a Japanese fat box original CD but I don't think the cost justifies it, ditto original EMI. SQ-wise the Doug Sax '94 is much, much better.

You then need this for the BBC and Paradiso concerts. All essential.

MzktNjAzOC5qcGVn.jpeg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X6FQWDX/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

And includes this brilliant "More" outtake.
It was ripping and organising this on the computer that made me realise I only had Ummagumma on vinyl.

And yeah, that track is great. The ‘71 live in concert and the full non album syd stuff are probably the best music on there, but all widely available previously. Still great to have in perfect SQ.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It's odd how a band could be such an awesome live act whilst at the same time release guff like the studio half of this and Atom Heart Mother.

Have quite a soft spot for AHM in all its early seventies indulgent daftness. And there’s some quite underrated stuff on side two- apart from Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast natch. Wasn’t particularly funny the first time. What were they smoking in those days?

Have quite a soft spot for AHM in all its early seventies indulgent daftness. And there’s some quite underrated stuff on side two- apart from Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast natch. Wasn’t particularly funny the first time. What were they smoking in those days?
Meddle has always been my favourite closely followed by AHM. I think Fat Old Sun is Gilmours finest moment and always saw Alans PB as a very early stereo "test" record.

Meddle has always been my favourite closely followed by AHM. I think Fat Old Sun is Gilmours finest moment and always saw Alans PB as a very early stereo "test" record.
I really like Summer 68 as well, quite unusual in having a brass arrangement. And it’s my favourite PF album cover n’ all. Meddle? Side one is wonderfully atmospheric early 70’s prog at its best (although I haven’t listened to Seamus since I was about 16). TBH Echoes drags on a bit in the middle for me.

advertisement

Back