advertisement

Ultrasonic cleaning solutions

Copperjacket

pfm Member
Good afternoon I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I want to use for various dirty, greasy, oily car and bike parts. Can anyone please recommend a good cleaning solution - preferably DIY?

IME oil / dirt / grease is best removed with petrol but I wouldn't want to do this in an ultrasonic cleaner 'just in case' because obviously it is quite flammable. Might be OK if you have a lid to put on it. Normally I find two rinses through minimum is good enough, one to release most of the crud and at least one as a clean rinse. It can also help to filter the petrol for the final rinse, kitchen towel works well for this in a funnel.
AP

Petrol is too flammable, avoid. Paraffin is better, so is diesel. Don't get diesel on your hands unless you want dermatitis.

There are numerous safer alternatives from car factors.

Stevec67,
Yes, agreed. The only reason I use this is because I generally use very small quantities for small items and as I use a petrol mower, usually have a quantity easily available. Just don't smoke whilst doing it;). As you say, diesel would be a good alternative.
AP

Diesel also stinks, it's horrible stuff to use. However it is a mechanics' friend. Take your nasty black item that's gummed upsolid and impossible to dismantle, chuck it in a bucket of diesel, walk away for a few days. Great for things like 2 stroke carbs full of dried up 2T oil.

I just tend to use Gunk but for ultrasonic cleaners there are videos on youtube for that
Alan

As a bike commuter I am constantly servicing my bike and I find white spirit good in terms of smell and flammability given how good it is at cleaning bike chains and derailleurs.
Cheers
Ian

advertisement

Back