advertisement

Ukraine V

I am speculating about the details of the deal though and what Russia is getting (apart from the gratitude of African and other countries]. It seems unlikely that they would agree to cooperate in moving the grain out of the kindness of their hearts or to help Ukraine satisfy its contracts. Is Putin finally realising that perhaps being a pariah is not all it’s cracked up to be (very unlikely).
Since Russia plans to annex occupied Ukraine Black Sea coast, perhaps they felt it was a bad look to bogart the grain they have on "Russian Lands"

I have now seen this Russian plan discussed several times by Russian language analysts:

Russia will hold fake referenda on joining RF in Ukranian occupied territories by the end of the summer. Once "joined," Russia will announce that any attempts to liberate these lands will be considered "attack on Russia" and will trigger a nuclear response.

I have now seen this Russian plan discussed several times by Russian language analysts:

Russia will hold fake referenda on joining RF in Ukranian occupied territories by the end of the summer. Once "joined," Russia will announce that any attempts to liberate these lands will be considered "attack on Russia" and will trigger a nuclear response.
Now that sounds like a (Russian) plan!

I hope we bluff them out if this occurs. That is alternative facts territory.

Reports in the US press that the Americans are considering suppling Ukraine with F-xxs and A10s (long way from implementing, obviously), and the DoD says Russia has committed nearly 85% of its military to Ukraine. If the latter is accurate, I'm surprised the Russians haven't made more progress even taking into account the poor training, dodgy weapons and cheap tyres.

Reports in the US press that the Americans are considering suppling Ukraine with F-xxs and A10s (long way from implementing, obviously), and the DoD says Russia has committed nearly 85% of its military to Ukraine. If the latter is accurate, I'm surprised the Russians haven't made more progress even taking into account the poor training, dodgy weapons and cheap tyres.

Russian army isn't that large (~250k), but their tactics are from Soviet times, which were developed for a much larger force.

Now that a small number of MLRS trucks forced them to move their supply depots much further back, their advantage in artillery (the most important aspect of their tactics) has been neutralized. This makes any advance even more difficult - the front lines have stabilized and are slowly changing direction around Harkiv and Kherson.

On the news tonight- Sergey has started his charm offensive in Africa, well I’m sure he could handle the offensive bit in his sleep, but charm !!?? they would have done better to send a Klingon death squad.
He makes me think of the "Mouth of Sauron" guy.

Russian army isn't that large (~250k), but their tactics are from Soviet times, which were developed for a much larger force.

Now that a small number of MLRS trucks forced them to move their supply depots much further back, their advantage in artillery (the most important aspect of their tactics) has been neutralized. This makes any advance even more difficult - the front lines have stabilized and are slowly changing direction around Harkiv and Kherson.

If the Americans sent planes to Ukraine, what do you think the Russians would do?

They would attempt to destroy them. That would probably mean destroying the airfield(s) they operated out of.
Presumably they’ll take a leaf out of Finlands book and distribute them using motorways as runways, they practiced take off/landing F18 and Hawks in 2016 in Lusi. Watched some reports about Finlands readiness, they seem to have things squared away more than anyone else.

Interesting (sic) conundrum would be attack aircraft given to Ukraine that were based on US carriers that simply 'helped' by supplying Ukrainian cosumables to them with Ukrainian technicians. An attack on the *carriers* would be one on the USA, which the US Adminisration could make clear. Standing too close to the fire, or not? Prefer not to find out, but we could get into a 'where is the edge?' case like this at some point...

Interesting (sic) conundrum would be attack aircraft given to Ukraine that were based on US carriers that simply 'helped' by supplying Ukrainian cosumables to them with Ukrainian technicians. An attack on the *carriers* would be one on the USA, which the US Adminisration could make clear. Standing too close to the fire, or not? Prefer not to find out, but we could get into a 'where is the edge?' case like this at some point...

I don't think that the US would be confident it could park a carrier up and engineer a situation where it wasn't at risk of being on the end of a Russian missile or two.

Depends on where they are located. I suspect Russia would do more than just destroy airfields.

It's assuming they'd be based in Ukraine. And when I say Airfoelds, I mean Airbases: hangars, HASes, fuel, ammunition as well as the runway.

advertisement

Back