advertisement

Ukraine V

This war has sown the seed of 500 years of Ukrainian hatred towards Russia and who can blame them. Long after Putin is dead the hate will Iinger.

Some grain now moving

July 12 (Reuters) - Ukraine sparked hopes Tuesday for an increase in grain exports despite Russia's blockade of Black Sea ports, noting that ships had started to pass through an important mouth of the Danube river.​

"In the last four days, 16 ships have passed through the Bystre rivermouth," Deputy Infrastructure Minister Yuriy Vaskov was quoted as a saying in a ministry statement. "We plan to maintain this pace."​

The ministry said the 16 vessels were now waiting to be loaded with Ukrainian grain for export to foreign markets, while more than 90 more vessels were awaiting their turn in Romania's Sulina canal.​

Abandoned Oil Tanker hit by cruise missile again, oil spill disaster waiting to happen, 2nd missile self destructed - maybe they mistook it for Ukraine Navy?

https://maritime-executive.com/arti...sile-hit-abandon-moldovan-tanker-in-black-sea

For the second time since the attack began on Ukraine, a Moldova-flagged tanker has come under fire according to reports from a Ukrainian spokesperson. It is unclear why the vessel, which had been heavily damaged and abandon after the first attack, would have been targeted for a second time, but Ukrainian officials are using it to call attention to potential environmental issues in the Black Sea.

According to a report posted on the social media site Telegram by a spokesperson for the Head of the Odesa Regional Military Administration, Serhiy Bratchuk, Russian forces unleashed new air strikes in the Odesa region of western Ukraine. During the assault, he is saying that two 2 Kh-31 missiles were fired from a Su-30 aircraft specifically targeting the disabled tanker Millennial Spirit.

Reports indicate that the 2,091 dwt chemical tanker was hit by one of the missiles while the second appeared to self-destruct before reaching the target. They indicated that new fires were started aboard the tanker. Calling the vessel a possible “environmental time bomb,” the Ukrainian officials speculated that “probably the remainder of the cargo is burning.”​

During the assault, he is saying that two 2 Kh-31 missiles were fired from a Su-30 aircraft specifically targeting the disabled tanker Millennial Spirit.

I'm surprised Russia has them to spare given there are still many civilian tower blocks and retail outlets to destroy in Ukraine

I'm surprised Russia has them to spare given there are still many civilian tower blocks and retail outlets to destroy in Ukraine
They are not targetting civilians though……..yeah right.

Saw a report that in Donbas there were firing 20,000 projectiles a day at the peak, that’s a lot of ammo to store/move, hopefully there’ll be more and more smart/guided munitions sent in from USA, used to take their stores out and making them lengthen supply lines. Seems very little hope of any meaningful peace or ceasfire talks.

Rumours that Russia's Wagner Group asked via Telegram for 800K volunteers to join them to take on the Nazis in Ukraine. No takers. Is Putin running out of soldiers?

I think their targeting is generally very poor, verging on retarded, and this is the most kind explanation.

For example, they destroyed a building recently that is labeled "House of Officers," claiming that it was an "Officer's Compound." The building was a concert hall, with a big charity concert scheduled for that day. An active shopping center (with shoppers) and medical clinic (with doctors and patients) were destroyed in the process.

There is a long tradition of naming theaters after the initial organization that built them. In Massachusetts we have "Mechanic's Hall" in Worcester, which is a very nice theater. There are "Houses of Officers" in St. Petersburg and other Russian cities.

I guess it's remotely possible that targeting was done with Google maps by a very young person who was also stupid and apathetic. That's one way of looking at it.

I think their targeting is generally very poor, verging on retarded, and this is the most kind explanation.

For example, they destroyed a building recently that is labeled "House of Officers," claiming that it was an "Officer's Compound." The building was a concert hall, with a big charity concert scheduled for that day. An active shopping center (with shoppers) and medical clinic (with doctors and patients) were destroyed in the process.

There is a long tradition of naming theaters after the initial organization that built them. In Massachusetts we have "Mechanic's Hall" in Worcester, which is a very nice theater. There are "Houses of Officers" in St. Petersburg and other Russian cities.

I guess it's remotely possible that targeting was done with Google maps by a very young person who was also stupid and apathetic. That's one way of looking at it.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Was listening to NPR this morning and they were discussing the upcoming Adolph Eichmann documentary, The Devil's Confession. Newly discovered tapes have destroyed all notions of "the banality of evil". This idea that Eichmann and many other Nazis were simply functionaries, following orders, etc., has now been completely destroyed. Eichmann was recorded saying he was proud of the holocaust, and that it was the right thing to do in order to preserve his race's bloodlines.

I hesitate to give even the youngest and most naïve Russian soldiers a similar pass. The rape and looting of Ukraine are not acts of stupidity or apathy. They are consciously vicious acts orchestrated by an evil maniac.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Was listening to NPR this morning and they were discussing the upcoming Adolph Eichmann documentary, The Devil's Confession. Newly discovered tapes have destroyed all notions of "the banality of evil". This idea that Eichmann and many other Nazis were simply functionaries, following orders, etc., has now been completely destroyed. Eichmann was recorded saying he was proud of the holocaust, and that it was the right thing to do in order to preserve his race's bloodlines.

I hesitate to give even the youngest and most naïve Russian soldiers a similar pass. The rape and looting of Ukraine are not acts of stupidity or apathy. They are consciously vicious acts orchestrated by an evil maniac.
Agree with your point. Always thought the 'banality of evil' trope was most true esthetically--evil doers tend to have horrible taste in art and music and stuff, going for overdone oversentimental tripe.

Alexey Arestovich in his daily session with Mark Faigen said an interesting thing. He suggested that Russia is targeting civilians in order to drive maximum Ukrainian hatred.

He says there is plenty of rabid anti-Russian sentiment on Ukranian social media, including vicious battlefield footage of dead and wounded Russian soldiers. Attacks on Ukranian civilian targets makes this go into overdrive.

This is routinely shown on Russian propaganda channels as proof of Ukranian Nazism.

Alexey Arestovich in his daily session with Mark Faigen said an interesting thing. He suggested that Russia is targeting civilians in order to drive maximum Ukrainian hatred.

He says there is plenty of rabid anti-Russian sentiment on Ukranian social media, including vicious battlefield footage of dead and wounded Russian soldiers. Attacks on Ukranian civilian targets makes this go into overdrive.

This is routinely shown on Russian propaganda channels as proof of Ukranian Nazism.
Very likely - but don’t they realise it is driving maximum hatred (or at least condemnation) of Russia’s actions under Putin elsewhere in the world. I certainly can’t imagine any reaction other than outrage in the so-called West.

advertisement

Back