advertisement

Ukraine V

Dude, why are you repeating Putin's talking points?

These arguments can only sap the will of rock-ribbed patriots and defenders of freedom everywhere.

The only thing that matters right now is winning the war.

We can think about "winning the peace" later.

Like we did in Iraq.

That went well.

No harm done. whatsoever.
I like the clever use of line spacing and punctuation in your post, it makes it read almost like a poem.

But my name isn't "Dude." Please refrain from such familiar terms in the future.

However, behind the snark is an empty space that you have maintained about your position on this conflict. Should we maintain and accelerate weapons aid to Ukraine or reduce it, pressuring Ukraine to ceede territory and sue for peace?

Still "dunno?"

I know it sounds like a dreadfully boring subject, but there is a giant war in the heart of your continent with hundreds of thousands dead and Ukrainian civilians dying every day from Russian missiles and field artillery.

And if you couldn't formulate a coherent position on the actual war for over a year, why should your opinion on the post-war reconstruction be taken seriously?

But my name isn't "Dude." Please refrain from such familiar terms in the future.

Eh? o_O He was clearly addressing the post above from ks.234.

ks.234 was the "Dude" in question.

Ah, just realised as I'm typing. You have blocked ks.234. The perils of blocking...

These arguments can only sap the will of rock-ribbed patriots and defenders of freedom everywhere.

Like we did in Iraq.

That went well.

Are you really comparing Iraq to Ukraine, even in an ironic post? I know you enjoy being snarky but you're brighter than that.

Are you really comparing Iraq to Ukraine, even in an ironic post? I know you enjoy being snarky but you're brighter than that.
Your snarkometer is on the blink, it seems to be giving you false negatives and false positives at the same time.

The post was not comparing war in Ukraine with war in Iraq, it was comparing the known peace in Iraq with the potential peace in Ukraine.

That some people on here seem to think that consideration of the post war potentialities facing the Ukrainian people is not a legitimate topic of conversation, is testament to a certain militaristic view of this conflict that is highly exclusionary. Other points of view are available

I mean, has anyone read the article in question? Has anyone got anything to say about what the article has actually said ?

Is the peace not at least as worthy of discussion as the war?

Also, in the old Soviet military general's finishing school (still followed today), a general that doesn't have a lot of casualties among his troops just isn't trying hard enough. T-55 checks both boxes - more tanks are at the front and more soldiers are in bags. Win-win.

The Russians are moving Katyusha rocket launchers on Zis-5 trucks from 1940s or 1950s, headed by even older Zis-6 trucks from 1930s. The Russians must be trolling the Twittersphere.

Like we did in Iraq.

That went well.

Not sure the Sarcasm Police will like that post.

Finally...:

Amnesty International published its annual report today. In it, the organization accuses the West of double standards regarding Ukraine and condemns EU states for opening the doors to millions of Ukrainian refugees while keeping other asylum seekers out.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1640834102776537092
Russia is slaughtering Ukrainian men women and children in their own country so it’s entirely right that its European neighbours took in Ukrainians fleeing for their lives as indeed Germany and others did with huge numbers of Syrians fleeing Putin’s blood brother in Damascus.

Finally...:

Amnesty International published its annual report today. In it, the organization accuses the West of double standards regarding Ukraine and condemns EU states for opening the doors to millions of Ukrainian refugees while keeping other asylum seekers out.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1640834102776537092
The whole report can be downloaded free, the russia section starts on p. 307, it’s not remotely flattering.

Russia is slaughtering Ukrainian men women and children in their own country so it’s entirely right that its European neighbours took in Ukrainians fleeing for their lives as indeed Germany and others did with huge numbers of Syrians fleeing Putin’s blood brother in Damascus.

Despite we disagree on many things regarding the war, I still find you an intelligent person but this answer is bellow your standards. I am sure you understand whom this is directed at. Your country did an unbelievable menace in many African and Middle East countries where people flee from trying to reach the shores of the UK. Still your country didn't show any remorse towards true victims, refusing to offer them a safe passage, asylum and integration options. You are deporting people back to the countries by no means safe. Your friendliness towards Ukrainians is not entirely humanitarian.

Despite we disagree on many things regarding the war, I still find you an intelligent person but this answer is bellow your standards. I am sure you understand whom this is directed at. Your country did an unbelievable menace in many African and Middle East countries where people flee from trying to reach the shores of the UK. Still your country didn't show any remorse towards true victims, refusing to offer them a safe passage, asylum and integration options. You are deporting people back to the countries by no means safe. Your friendliness towards Ukrainians is not entirely humanitarian.
I don’t dispute much of your post (but perhaps the use of ‘you’). However I’m not interested in discussing the callousness of this country toward refugees in a discussion about the invasion of Ukraine by a fascist in Moscow. You’ll find that discussion on the various Brexit and Tory Governmenet threads if you look.

The pressing task is to save Ukrainians by supporting them to expel Russia from their country and to prevent Russia from doing the same to any other European country.

I am also a beneficiary of a likely preferential refugee status that Soviet Jews received during detente so we can, with some luck, emigrate out of the Russian World. I am sure that if you had a power to do so, I would be rendered back to RW forthwith.

Emigration is always a political choice, with multiple reasons controlling the country's position on any given situation. In the US, this is firmly in the parvenue of the executive branch of government - inherently political.

You were not a refugee by any account.
You are not in any position to render judgement as to what I was or wasn't as a 13 year old in 1977. Nor, actually, do you have any right to.

However, I was a stateless refugee by the account of the Carter administration. And Ukranians are war refugees in the judgement of the Biden administration. That's how politics work.

It seems to really upset you that we escaped the Russian World. If it was up to you we all would be imprisoned there forever, with RW warlord, Putin in charge of our lives.

Like I said, I am glad your emigration/refugee professional career is/was in Europe...

Last edited:

advertisement

Back