advertisement

Ukraine V

Putin’s ministers and spox continue to utter threats toward Finland, Sweden, Norway and Lithuania- the last two for impeding over land transport of Russian cargo through their sovereign territory.
I cannot see this conflict remaining inside the borders of Ukraine, since Putin has been described by various people with knowledge of him, as not someone who makes threats he will not follow through on and in the past two decades he’s been sending regular smoke signals about red lines and Russian re-expansion into its former sphere of influence.

I wonder about that. He's seen how badly his army has performed in Ukraine. They're now bringing in 50 year-old tanks and raiding washing machines for computer chips. If they attack NATO, they'll get squashed flat. The only thing Putin has are tactical nukes, and I suspect that he's no keener to commit suicide than anyone else. It seems to me that he is relying on the Russian ability to endure prolonged suffering, as opposed to the effete, luxury-loving West, whose will he is trying to outlast, so a little bit of bellicosity to help it along. I suspect some proportion of whistling in the dark is going on.

Pathetic response from the auld BJ only to be expected though - defence spending during the 60s and 70s was more than double the target he is aiming for by the end of the decade.

Scum. Let’s hope he gets his wish-

fg7Nw7m.jpg

“Zelensky should have tried harder”.

I wonder about that. He's seen how badly his army has performed in Ukraine. They're now bringing in 50 year-old tanks and raiding washing machines for computer chips. If they attack NATO, they'll get squashed flat. The only thing Putin has are tactical nukes, and I suspect that he's no keener to commit suicide than anyone else. It seems to me that he is relying on the Russian ability to endure prolonged suffering, as opposed to the effete, luxury-loving West, whose will he is trying to outlast, so a little bit of bellicosity to help it along. I suspect some proportion of whistling in the dark is going on.

Except, Putin is a psychopath. His words and signature completely worthless. Zero trust in anything he or his walking talking cadaver, Lavrov, utters. Try negotiating with that.

He's prosecuting the conflict in numerous (and murderous) ways; ready to manufacture a famine that would starve to death literally millions of people unless the world agrees to his ransom of lifting sanctions.

Reports over the last few months suggest he could have a life-threatening illness. If so, what does he have to lose by escalation? Not to mention he will want to avoid humiliating himself, domestically and internationally, by backing down on his threats. Peter the (not so) Great has bitten off more than he can chew and completely misread how 'The West'/NATO etc was going to react to his invasion of Ukraine.

Or has he? Again, re: what does he have to lose by escalation and more threats of a nuclear response to NATO's renewed expansionism?

John

Last edited:
Who needs nuclear weapons if you can make it hard for your adversaries to eat and keep warm ?

Who needs nuclear weapons if you can make it hard for your adversaries to eat and keep warm ?

Yeah, I didn't articulate this very well. And now I'm in danger of egg-sucking grandmother teaching. . . ;)

He needs nuclear weapons to threaten with - Putins big stick. But, in my opinion, there is the very real possibility he may decide to use them if he doesn't get what he wants and is humiliated, even if he has brought this upon himself. Cuz psychopath.

Also, if he attempts to prevent NATO intervention via a renewed nuclear threat, as he did at the outset, he will most likely continue to employ other nefarious tactics to satisfy his hate-fuelled power mongering. If he controls enough resources via land grabs throughout Cental and Eastern Europe, energy, food, rare earth minerals, etc', and access and oversight to sovereign states he has successfully invaded, he expands his control and influence into western Europe and beyond. Maybe enough to intall puppet regimes in non-European nations that are resource rich, whatever and wherever they may be. And if he meets any resistance, just roll out the nuclear threat once again. Hence. . .

Anyway, this is why I think there has been a rush to get Finland and Sweden fast-tracked into the process of NATO membership and to expand NATO troops from 40,000 to 300,000. This initiative is not just about Finland and Sweden. IMO.

John

Given the parlous state of his army, there is no way Putin could attempt an invasion of Finland at the moment. My worry is that he will go for Moldova given its non membership of NATO.

Unfortunately, they seem to be going Russia's way at least on the ground.
It's a critical time in this conflict. It took Russia almost 3 months to take two Luhansk towns. In order to do that, they had to move troops from Kherson region, ceding territory there.

In the meantime, Ukraine has been receiving better weapons and training for their troops. They have also been chewing up Russian supply lines and command posts.

Thought I'd copy this from the charity section, hope nobody minds:

OK, sitrep! Thanks to your generous support, I've been able to purchase this huge pick-up truck for volunteers in Ukraine! I'm taking it to a garage for an inspection first thing tomorrow morning, and if I get the green light from the mechanics, the long journey from Reading to eastern Ukraine begins!

I'm picking up a British volunteer along the way, and also some humanitarian supplies from Kent. I'm hoping to be in Zaporizhzhia by early next week.

If anyone's willing to donate me some diesel money, please use the same link:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/zaporizhzhia

Stay tuned, and many thanks again!

gVQQP1O.jpg

Thought I'd copy this from the charity section, hope nobody minds:

OK, sitrep! Thanks to your generous support, I've been able to purchase this huge pick-up truck for volunteers in Ukraine! I'm taking it to a garage for an inspection first thing tomorrow morning, and if I get the green light from the mechanics, the long journey from Reading to eastern Ukraine begins!

I'm picking up a British volunteer along the way, and also some humanitarian supplies from Kent. I'm hoping to be in Zaporizhzhia by early next week.

If anyone's willing to donate me some diesel money, please use the same link:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/zaporizhzhia

Stay tuned, and many thanks again!

gVQQP1O.jpg
Done.

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey.

It's a critical time in this conflict. It took Russia almost 3 months to take two Luhansk towns. In order to do that, they had to move troops from Kherson region, ceding territory there.

In the meantime, Ukraine has been receiving better weapons and training for their troops. They have also been chewing up Russian supply lines and command posts.

Russia's 'Deep Battle' approach to the war post the mess in the North of Ukraine seems to be gaining some traction and momentum. And once the Russians dig in, they will be hard to dislodge. Yes, Western weaponry is coming on-stream (though not enough of it and not fast enough) and it will certainly help the Ukrainians slow the Russians but will it give them an enough of an advantage to push the Russians back and reclaim significant amounts of territory? A lot of commentators are suggesting this might happen in the South but I can't see it how Ukraine at this juncture can push the Russians back in the central areas.

Russia's 'Deep Battle' approach to the war post the mess in the North of Ukraine seems to be gaining some traction and momentum. And once the Russians dig in, they will be hard to dislodge. Yes, Western weaponry is coming on-stream (though not enough of it and not fast enough) and it will certainly help the Ukrainians slow the Russians but will it give them an enough of an advantage to push the Russians back and reclaim significant amounts of territory? A lot of commentators are suggesting this might happen in the South but I can't see it how Ukraine at this juncture can push the Russians back in the central areas.
We shall see.

I read it's really hard to do a dug-in defense for the invading force. Especially with thinly manned front defensive lines and rear areas open to the advancing forces' artillery.

Also doesn't help that the Ukrainian population in the areas Russians would be defending hate their occupiers and want them gone or dead.

Last edited:
Blast the crap out of ALL types of supply routes and stores you can discover.

Posting purely for comedy value: batshit crazy alt-right transphobe “philosopher” Jordan Peterson wades in to the whole Russia/Ukraine debate (Twitter).

PS I know he’s an attention-seeking far-right gobshite, but he is so wrong, and so puffed-up and self-important in his own wrongness it is genuinely funny.

Seem to be ramping up their missile/rocket attacks. Submarine fired missiles 14 July

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-...s-life-before-russian-missile-attack-12652212

A four-year-old girl has been killed and her mother was seriously injured after Russian missiles struck a city in central Ukraine.​

Another 22 people died, including two more children, and over 100 others were injured in the attack on Vinnytsia, which is 167 miles (268km) southwest of the capital Kyiv.​

"Over 2.5m people have now been 'evacuated' from Ukraine to Russia since the start of the invasion. Russia continues to face accusations that it is forcibly deporting Ukrainians; in many cases Ukrainians have reportedly been mistreated in filtration camps set up by Russia." MoD.

advertisement

Back