advertisement

Ukraine V

So, just watched military expert explaining newly announced supply from the west and conclusion is... I will only allow Ukraine to continue defense till June or October.
Will allow to fill the gaps due to losses, but not allow to create bigger army. And that is elephant in the room. Russia as shit it is, still can produce arms, as during WW2 times.
Hopefully current support is just a start.

Those German Leopard tanks pop up in all sorts of places, though sadly not Ukraine at the moment.

The Chilean army has been equipped by Germany ever since it adopted Prussian military doctrine shortly after the Franco-Prussian war, and currently has Leopard tanks and the Panzerlied to go with them.

I, for one, am glad we are learning to share - several more Patriot and NASAMS batteries, and it's not new production!

I also urge Ukranians to not repaint the new armor but keep it in original national regalia. Russians still have an innate feeling of superiority of western stuff and armies (often misplaced) and will retreat more readily if they think that they are being attacked by NATO.

They are being told daily that Ukranians are too stupid to operate "fancy" western weapons and it's NATO mercenaries that fire on them. If you don't believe that, just ask @anubisgrau , he will second it.

Not sure what trash are you @DimitryZ talking, unless it's some attempt of nonsense humor you brought from Russia.

Fwiw, the only side who, in one way or another, concluded Ukrainians are too stupid to operate something is Americans with not giving them Abrams tanks.

Not sure what trash are you @DimitryZ talking, unless it's some attempt of nonsense humor you brought from Russia.

Fwiw, the only side who, in one way or another, concluded Ukrainians are too stupid to operate something is Americans with not giving them Abrams tanks.
That hasn't been my admittedly limited experience. My colleagues who went to train Ukrainian missiliers in NASAMS were highly complimentary. And I guess they set some kind of record in reloading speed during one of the last RF wave air attacks.

Abrams tanks are a pain to refuel and maintain with their jet fuel turbine engine, unless you are setup for it. But we should send them at least some, so that Germany doesn't feel it has to go first.

It seems that now Germany doesn't have any objections if current tank owners share some with Ukraine... provided they order brand new latest mod replacement units from the factory. It's just good business.

Last edited:
It seems that now Germany doesn't have any objections if current tank owners share some with Ukraine... provided they order brand new latest mod replacement units from the factory. It's just good business.
There was already some noise from Finnish politicians that Finland should stop buying German military equipment because there is no guarantee that they will deliver replacements or spare parts in case of an actual war.
Not from anyone actually in a position to decide this mind, but still a valid concern.

Google says Abrams are made in different fuel spec so no drama there.
IMO abrams are necessary for Ukraine to regain territory. What west supply now is just to maintain defence and protect people and soldiers.

The brand spanking new Abrahams 'X' actually is diesel powered, but I cant see that leaving for anywhere in a while, so much top secret stuff involved.

But we should send them at least some, so that Germany doesn't feel it has to go first.

That, to me, is spot-on. A small number with the necessary fuel. The Ukrainians seem to be very adept at adapting to new weapons systems. It might be the small movement that triggers the avalanche.

It reminds me a wee bit of a pre-First World War conversation between the French and British Chiefs of Staff, both looking into the future to the possibility of having to fight an ever more bellicose-sounding Germany. How many soldiers would the British need to send? "Just one," said the French CoS, "and we'll make sure that he gets killed."

Success for Putin by his cronies keeping Sweden out of NATO. They now have a firm veto by Turkey after that Danish far right groups theatrics in Sweden

Success for Putin by his cronies keeping Sweden out of NATO. They now have a firm veto by Turkey after that Danish far right groups theatrics in Sweden
A lot of the attention has been on Turkey regarding this, but Hungary has also delayed and delayed. It was supposed to come up in the parliament in September, then October, December, January and now in February.

Considering Fidesz has a majority in parliament, there is no reason for it to not pass very easily should Orbán want this. So why is Orbán delaying?
My feeling is that Sweden and Finland are not going to be in NATO for quite some time yet. Perhaps the goal is to try to drive a wedge between the two nations who have so far stated that they will join together or not at all.

it's anyway an overblown issue.

as we see, russia can''t take 50-100km of ukrainian border belt and now a top equipped countries like finland and sweden has to be protected by NATO. don't tell me.

it's anyway an overblown issue.

as we see, russia can''t take 50-100km of ukrainian border belt and now a top equipped countries like finland and sweden has to be protected by NATO. don't tell me.
An invasion by Russia is a disaster to a country regardless whether Russia actually reach any war goals or not. Flattened cities, dead and displaced civilians, atrocities in occupied areas.. wanting to avoid that is not overblown.

Finland whole population 5.5 million, Russia army size 1 million and plan to increase to 1.5 million. O yes, there is nothing to worry about given their attitude to neighbours and own history. Why do you think Finland is so strong military? Also Sweden and Finland in NATO will be great fo Baltic.
Yes, and this issue about stopping from invading instead of pushing out when they in, given Ukraine experience, was raised by Estonia in summer and was heard by NATO. Good thing.

advertisement

Back