advertisement

UKHHSoc update

Apologies for the 'long pause' in adding info the the UKHHSoc site. Due to a mix of various distractions and personal problems, etc. However I have now started collating more info. As a taster I thought some may be interested in recent info I have brought together as reference info for the 1950s. This is just the illustrations thus far. No explanatory text as yet, but that - and perhaps more reference scans - I aim to add soon to produce a new 'paper' on the topic.

See http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/other/temp/50s_Figs.html

Some of the details may surprise or amuse. Tele-gram?! 8-].... Note also the 'differentiation of the market' when advertising in different magazines.

See if you can decide when "Hi-Fi" as we know it really displaced the older 'quality radio' approach...

£1
Apologies for the 'long pause' in adding info the the UKHHSoc site. Due to a mix of various distractions and personal problems, etc. However I have now started collating more info. As a taster I thought some may be interested in recent info I have brought together as reference info for the 1950s. This is just the illustrations thus far. No explanatory text as yet, but that - and perhaps more reference scans - I aim to add soon to produce a new 'paper' on the topic.

See http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/other/temp/50s_Figs.html

Some of the details may surprise or amuse. Tele-gram?! 8-].... Note also the 'differentiation of the market' when advertising in different magazines.

See if you can decide when "Hi-Fi" as we know it really displaced the older 'quality radio' approach...

£1,500 (in today's money) plus Purchase Tax, for a 12-inch monochrome CRT TV in 1950. Or, more like £5,000 when you factor in that £52/10shillings was 9-weeks average wage in 1950 (compared to £570 today). Kind of interesting that we are still spending relatively similar amounts as our parents on the latest TV tech.
A (Granada "Finlandia") colour TV was the only thing my old Dad ever "bought" on H.P. which was otherwise viewed as the devil's work. It went back to Stepek when belts were once again needing tightened.

£1

£1,500 (in today's money) plus Purchase Tax, for a 12-inch monochrome CRT TV in 1950. Or, more like £5,000 when you factor in that £52/10shillings was 9-weeks average wage in 1950 (compared to £570 today). Kind of interesting that we are still spending relatively similar amounts as our parents on the latest TV tech.
A (Granada "Finlandia") colour TV was the only thing my old Dad ever "bought" on H.P. which was otherwise viewed as the devil's work. It went back to Stepek when belts were once again needing tightened.

My parents weren't able to afford to buy a TV in the 1950s. Only got one c 1960 when one of my step-brothers (much older than me) who was in work bought one for us. I was brought up on sound radio. Alas in the 1980s my parent gave away the old radio to a charity shop. Shame as I'd have loved to still have it.

advertisement

Back