advertisement

UKHHSoc update

Jim Audiomisc

pfm Member
Just to let people know that I have started adding more items to the UKHHSoc 'collection' on the web. This morning I added a new section on Beam Echo, and some items to the Chapman and Armstrong sections. All being well, over the next week or so I will add material on Jason, Lowther, Rogers, and others.

As usual, the index for the collection can be found at

http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/AudioDocs.html

My thanks to Steve Palmano for providing a number of scans. :)

A wee criticism but could the docs not be as PDF and in one whole piece? You have to view each page in say a user manual individually then shut that page and load the second etc.... Really off putting for me...

A wee criticism but could the docs not be as PDF and in one whole piece? You have to view each page in say a user manual individually then shut that page and load the second etc.... Really off putting for me...

This is something that was discussed a lot in the past. There are various reasons why I've built the site as it is. However you may find it useful to note that you don't need a web browsers to fetch files.

Look at utilities like 'wget'. These allow you to do things like recusive fetches. i.e. to get all of the items in a chosen section with one command. As an experiment, I just did this to get one set of items back from the 'new' Rogers files. In fact, anyone using such a utility could download the entire public site if they really wanted to, with one command. Although they'd then need to be patient and have enough space for over 5,000 files.,(Comes to about 5GB) 8-]

You can set something like a suitable wget command running, check it is getting the items you want, then leave it running as you do something else. Indeed, of someone knows how to write scripts, etc, they could probably pipe that into a pdf generator. :)

Basically, the files are a resource people can use as they wish. You're not limited to picking one file at a time.

Hello Jim,

I'm the guilty party who OCR'd the early version 'Linn Sondek LP12 Set-up Manual' and inserted snapshots of the necessary graphics taken from the original low resolution scanned photo copy from Linn.

I do clearly remember putting a bit of effort into getting the pagination, margins, spacing, and even the word wrapping/hyphenation correct. Funny, after all that, I've just noticed that on page 5 the string of asterisks that isolate the 'caution' are off; as well, there exists header issues on pages 3 and 18. Seems there also exists double page numbers but I'll blame that one on poor PDF creation software. I also remember whitening the grey backgrounds of the scanned bits but those obviously didn't take during the conversion.

Anyway, I'll have another go with the original document and re-submit a cleaned up .pdf.

P.S. 'wget' brings back memories!

OK. :) Improved versions always welcome!

One of the problems we face is what the art/antiquies trade call 'provenance'. In this case some way to know what we get is a faithful version of the 'original'.

BTW I should apologise than I'm not updating the site as fast as I wish. Afraid I'm in the middle of a period of not being very well.

Sorry to hear that you've been feeling unwell Jim; here's hoping that your bias current and DC offset are back to being within manufacturer's specifications soon.:)

In the meantime, no worries about updates, as there is certainly enough information on there to keep readers/researchers quite busy as is; IOW you've done a great job in providing a very worthwhile resource.

As to 'provenance', I understand completely. I haven't come across the original LP12 setup manual from the 1980s online for some years. I may have actually got my copy from Tony's pfm from when it was a flat earth resource more than a discussion forum. I'll have a trawl through some of my old CD-ROM backups (from before external HDDs became an affordable reality) and see whether I still have the original.

Craig

UPDATE: No original scan found, however, I did just upload a cleaned up copy of the Word document. For reference, this is the 1982 'Valhalla' version of what Linn dealers would have received since the 1970s.

If anyone does have electronic copies of any pre-Valhalla set-up manual versions and/or modification/update notices (Nirvana, for example) then I'd certainly like to have them, as I am sure would Jim for the UKHHSoc.

If I had a copy Jim has it now - I sent him everything I had. I’m sure my Linn stuff was a good bit later, i.e. post-Cirkus.

Thanks, Craig. I got the emails notifications of the items this morning. Afraid I'm still 'running a bit slow' for medical reasons. FWIW My arranged appointment with a consultant for 'interior examination' was at the end of Feb. But got postponed because the consultant was snowed in at home. (Lives north of Dundee.) Now hoping to see them next Friday. Until the examination it isn't clear what I should or should not be doing, or what treatment may be needed.

Glad to help Jim. I've got boxes of old brochures and manuals which I'll be going through in the Spring/Summer in preparation for a house move. I'll set aside any worth scanning.
In the meantime, I do understand the waiting for service and hope that it doesn't cause you too much stress.

If I had a copy Jim has it now - I sent him everything I had. I’m sure my Linn stuff was a good bit later, i.e. post-Cirkus.

No worries Tony, it took 2 cups of coffee this morning to charge the synaptic nerves enough for me to remember that I got that direct from my man on the inside at a once respected Linn dealership; hence the poor quality due to it having been a low res scan of a hastily photocopied original.

useful resource. Also interesting to see what I assume is a SME 30 turntable prototype and matching description with a turntable platter of acrylic and aluminium. Never seen that before.

The price of the SME20 back in I assume early 90's was only £2495 without arm.

Jim, I’ve merged this with the existing UKHHSOC thread and ‘stuck’ it so it will always sit at the top of this room. Hopefully makes it easier to find and keep track of updates etc.

Jim, I’ve merged this with the existing UKHHSOC thread and ‘stuck’ it so it will always sit at the top of this room. Hopefully makes it easier to find and keep track of updates etc.

Thanks. :) Yes, if nothing else it will help me to find the right place rather than start another thread because I'm disorganised!

Hope to add a few more (Celestion) items soon.

Add to the above so people know:

The symptoms of my medical problem have been less severe in recent weeks. I have my fingers crossed this is due to some changes I made, but may simply be 'luck'. However I've been feeling a bit better so I hope will be able to do more. My main worry is that I need to go though my files to try and check if things have been sent to me during recent months that I've failed to process, then forgotten. So I'll spend some time checking back though my filing system (sic) to see if this has happened. If so, apologies to anyone who sent something that then failed to appear.

advertisement

Back