advertisement

2024 local elections

No surprise in Lincs. You can pin a blue rosette on a seaside donkey and it will get elected in Lincolnshire.
Like everywhere else it's a mixed bag, with a split between city and rural

The people of Lincoln have had their say on who they think should represent them on the city council, with Labour winning several seats during a tough evening for the Conservatives. Marc Jones has been re-elected as Lincolnshire's Police and Crime Commissioner for a third term.

City of Lincoln Council put a third of its 33 seats up for grabs with Labour taking eight, the Liberal Democrats winning two and the Conservatives taking one seat.

Like everywhere else it's a mixed bag, with a split between city and rural

The people of Lincoln have had their say on who they think should represent them on the city council, with Labour winning several seats during a tough evening for the Conservatives. Marc Jones has been re-elected as Lincolnshire's Police and Crime Commissioner for a third term.

City of Lincoln Council put a third of its 33 seats up for grabs with Labour taking eight, the Liberal Democrats winning two and the Conservatives taking one seat.

Yes, Lincoln is an outlier in Lincs. Lincoln and Grimsby, and to a lesser extent Gainsborough, are the only places in the county where *anyone* votes Labour.

Welwyn-Hatfield Borough Council - Shapps parliamentary seat......council has a total of 48 seats - in 2023; 22 Con, 14 Lib Dem and 12 Lab

16 wards up here, 1 seat per ward - 16 declared so far - Labour gain 10 from Con, LibDem gain 2 from Con, LibDem hold 2, Con hold 4

Council is now
Lab 20, LibDem 16, Con 12

Last edited:
Surprised anyone sees the Johnson no ID news as a stunt. It's entirely in character and all the publicity from it splits two ways, it reminds people how incompetent he is and that he thinks the rules, especially the ones he's made himself, are for everybody else. Even he's not stupid enough to want to engineer that.

Surprised anyone sees the Johnson no ID news as a stunt. It's entirely in character and all the publicity from it splits two ways, it reminds people how incompetent he is and that he thinks the rules, especially the ones he's made himself, are for everybody else. Even he's not stupid enough to want to engineer that.

it isnt news - he is a fool, anyone thinking it is news is equally foolish

Yes, that was my first thought when I heard the suggestion that it was a stunt. My question was : 'to what end?'

Decent results for Labour for far, as expected. Rumours that Khan will win but the winning margin might be slimmer than predicted. On verra.

Yes, that was my first thought when I heard the suggestion that it was a stunt. My question was : 'to what end?'

If it was a stunt, then attention. Good and bad attention will do.

Apparently, he tried to use a letter addressed to him as proof of identity.

If it was a stunt, then attention. Good and bad attention will do.

Apparently, he tried to use a letter addressed to him as proof of identity.
Yes, but all it actually did - apart from triggering a good deal of schadenfreude - was remind people that there's now an impediment to voting, and it was brought in by Johnson. Just about the only positive spin I could put on a stunt like that might be that it would serve as a reminder to people who were apt to forget they now needed voter ID. I certainly don't see Johnson coming out of the incident unscathed, so I have my doubts that even his pathological craving for publicity would have engineered that.

Yes, but all it actually did - apart from triggering a good deal of schadenfreude - was remind people that there's now an impediment to voting, and it was brought in by Johnson. Just about the only positive spin I could put on a stunt like that might be that it would serve as a reminder to people who were apt to forget they now needed voter ID. I certainly don't see Johnson coming out of the incident unscathed, so I have my doubts that even his pathological craving for publicity would have engineered that.

I'm not sure any of us has an iron-clad grasp on the 'why' of Boris (thankfully). I don't think he minds negative attention though. And the bumbling buffoon act is very on-brand. His base, voters and those MPs who want him back, will love it.

bu, but. Another for Starmer to chew on and again when he loses West Midlands tomorrow to another clown. Shows the Tories can still win if they can distinguish themselves from the Westminster shit show. Sun shines out of his a*** though...

Sighs of relief as Houchen wins for the Conservatives

There are lots of sighs of relief being breathed at the topof the Conservative Party right now.
Rishi Sunak’s supporters have for weeks been stressing thesignificance of the mayoral elections in the Tees Valley and the West Midlands,where the declaration is coming tomorrow but Labour have effectively alreadyconceded defeat.
Here’s where the statistical and the political perspectivesdiverge.
Ask an elections expert and they say these mayoralelections, with strong incumbents who have run independent-minded campaigns,are a poor guide to what might happen in a general election.
But Conservative MPs waking up this morning to dire councilresults told me they were waiting to see these mayoral results before formingan assessment about the political picture for the Conservative Party.
Expectthe prime minister to now try to hammer home the argument that these mayoralcontests show that the general election is not a foregone conclusion.

Interesting/disturbing result from one of the Rochdale wards; Galloway’s (far-right nutjob IMHO) Workers Party has taken almost twice as many votes as everyone else combined. Starmer’s spineless genocide apologist stance on Gaza is clearly costing Labour a lot of their Asian/Muslim base. This seat should be absolutely rock-solid Labour.

I thought it only played up to the "That Boris, he's a laugh, what's he like forgetting his ID" - reminding people of the only positive thing they ever have to say about him when you run by them the list of absolute grift and failure he presided over - "yeahbut he's funny innit"

Interesting/disturbing result from one of the Rochdale wards; Galloway’s (far-right nutjob IMHO) Workers Party has taken almost twice as many votes as everyone else combined. Starmer’s spineless genocide apologist stance on Gaza is clearly costing Labour a lot of their Asian/Muslim base. This seat should be absolutely rock-solid Labour.
I think it shows how out of touch parties can be with local populations.

advertisement

Back